How do you trigger / fade-in different melody and rhythm parts of a theme across the timeline in a “automated” way?

Hi all!

I’ve just watched Martin Lueders’ Berlin in a Box, and i would like to know/understand how do you trigger/fade-in diferent parts of a theme across the timeline in a “automated” way (i.e.: without tweaking any knob nor pushing any button once you push “start”)

Martin Lueders comenting his patch:

This is an attempt to build a complete Schulze style track in one patch. After starting the patch, no further interaction with the system is needed.

Thanks in advance! :pray::purple_heart:

2 Likes

Well, what he’s done here is very smart. He used a very slow clock division to drive a sequencer (16 step sequencer top right), and he made this sequencer his timeline. When he wanted a voice to fade in, he raised the respective value all the way up, which controls the volume, but he ran it first through a slew limiter with a long rise time, so the voice will fade in slowly. The fall time is very fast, so the voices just disappears without fading out.

6 Likes

That patch is beautifully old. Look at that Lateralus. <3

slew

Quick visualization of the seq->slew->output.

Although lately I find using Gate 2 of an impromptu sequencer to trigger the clock of another sequencer to be an interesting way to go (shame there’s no EOC port.)

1 Like

Impromptu Tact is the king of this celebration) Very smart and intuitive CV unit

4 Likes

Yes, +1! :+1:t3:
Both Tact modules are very underrated.
2 very powerful modules for automation, pay special attention to the EOC:)

Some things to keep in mind with tact

• TACT-1 has no incoming CV control at all
  • TACT has an up, down and restore function, as separate ports. You can’t really put in an arbitrary CV and have it fade to that value.

They are indeed great performance controls, but are very limited as far as fully automated patches go.

Although I do wonder now about multi-channel slew modules :thinking:

2 Likes

check nysthi autoXfade (dual cross x fader or quad in out fader, with cv controls)

3 Likes

Maybe just set TACT Attenuverter knob to value you want and have fun with the triggers up and down by any cv triggers? It’s enough for me really. I love TACT)

2 Likes

@Eurikon
here an example of nysthi::auto(X)fader

here the functionalities

It’s a QUAD STEREO XFADER** (or a 8 FADE IN stereo or 8 FADE OUT stereo)
with programmable time using CV

PARAMETERS and CONTROLS

• FADE STATUS, a led presenting the inner status of FADE
  • FADE IN, TRIG/TAP/OUT will TRIG the start of the FADE IN for FADE IN TIME
  • when the end of FADE IN is hit, the END OF FADE IN will PULSE out
  • FADE OUT, TRIG/TAP/OUT will TRIG the start of the FADE OUT for FADE OUT TIME
  • when the end of FADE OUT is hit, the END OF FADE OUT will PULSE out
  • FADE EXP TRIG/TAP/OUT will set fade curves to exponential
  • XFADING TRIG/TAP/OUT activates the CROSS FADE between LEFT and RIGHT
  • (1 3 5 and 7 are LEFT, and 2 4 6 and 8 are RIGHT)
  • FADE IN TIME CV + VCA CV + display interactive will set the FADE IN TIME
  • FADE OUT TIME CV + VCA CV + display interactive will set the FADE OUT TIME
  • 8 INs and 8 OUTs
  • all active in fade mode to do a fully MUTICHANNEL RECORDING
  • in XFADE mode
  • with LOW FADE status the IN 1 is presented on the OUT 1 and the IN 2 is presented on the OUT 2
  • during the FADE IN there is the automatic mix
  • with FADE in STATUS HIGH hte IN 1 is presented on the OUT 2 and the IN 2 on the OUT 1
  • fade in fade out will use current level (if hit in the middle of a transition)
6 Likes

interesting module! nice touch with the EOF
indeed great for combining with Mulittrack Recorder! <3

yes the EOF is important for example to trig STOP of the recording
so you are sure there are not tail cuts

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this approach is of use to some people. The approach @Skrylar by is great if you want to cycle through banks of sounds, but if that sound bank you are tiggering is a moving pattern in itself, you may want to trigger the pattern to start at a given time and then stay active for the duration of the track. Here is my approach for the solution:

Essentially the clock is really slow and provide a gated output, which is used to trigger a Shift Register. This holds the voltage high, once the value is shifted in and because the SHIFT uses the same clock pulse as the INPUT, the register will never be shifted low, even when it loops back around.

Bog Audio Slew is then used to fade in the sound banks, when the shift register goes high, this ensures that if the pattern is already quiet active at the point when it goes high it doesn’t enter the track abruptly.

Modules:

Impromptu: Clocked Count Modula: Analog Shift Register Bog Audio: Slew

I also use a RJModules: Buttons to ensure impromptu clocked starts in a reset/no run state, so that I can trigger it after I press record.

Here is what it all looks like.

1 Like

Like the concept of this method so what would you trigger-samples or synths or both with this set up?

I am trying the Nysthi Auto fader module set up above and that produces some nice dub style breakdowns when you x fade Chronoblob delay as well.