how do you run rack from command line on mac and see log?

Yeah, I RTFM, but it doesn’t work.

If I go to /Applications//Contents I can run ./Rack and it runs fine, but I have no console output.

If I’m in the same folder and I run ./Rack -d then it can’t find the resources.

What’s the right incantation to run a retail version from the command line with logging output?

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is either the simplest or the best solution, but when I want to see the log while Rack is running, I launch the app as usual and then run a command such as

tail -f -n10000 <Rack user folder>/log.txt

in a separate terminal window, where the 10000 is an arbitrary number that’s large enough to ensure that I can scroll back to see the beginning of the file.

I think you have to study command-line usage in the manual carefully.

It doesn’t look like using -d to get terminal logging is fit for a standard install. So the option then is to simply tail the log file output as said above, possibly augmented with a | grep -F MySlug to only see specific module output.

That will work, but when I’m developing on my windows machine I get lots in the terminal that I launch from. As I said, I did try to rtfm.

But then you’re probably launching a Rack you built yourself, right? As I read it that’s what “-d” is meant for.

/Applications/VCV\ Rack\ 2\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Rack -s /Applications/VCV\ Rack\ 2\ Pro.app/Contents/Resources -u ~/Documents/Rack2 -d

seems to be close to what you want. But when I ran that it didn’t load the arm plugins and i did’t look much beyond that.

1 Like

tx! yeah, for what I need to do (find a crazy bug that’s arm only), I just delete the log, run normally, harvest the log, edit. It’s working well enough.