How do you resolve Could not load patch: Unarchiver . . . error

I posted one 4h earlier :slight_smile:

Ah, great! I should pay more attention :wink:

thanks to Analogic in Discord

1 Like

Canā€™t login to that. Was it some interesting text you wanted to share?

1 Like

I turned it on in my windows. donā€™t know if itā€™s a good idea or not, but thatā€™s another question.

From time to time I run an app, and it makes windows pop up the notice that it was blocked. Then if it seems legit (like VCV saving a patch) I allow that app, which is a one time thing.

Lars,

Thanks for asking. It turns out that Jensā€™ suggestion to remove the read-only file protection on files within the Rack2 folder did resolve the issue (see above), both when trying to open files and creating new ones.

So, thanks to Jen for the clear and thorough help.

In my case, ransomware settings in Windows did not seem to have an effect (and I did explore those settings as Jens had suggested above). I can see how such settings might affect VCV Rackā€™s ability to write to selected folders.

1 Like

Yes, but if you have the ransomware thing turned on IT will have made the files read-only, it didnā€™t happen by itself. So the core issue is the ransomware setting.

Well, you never answered whether it was turned on or not, and Iā€™ll bet you that if itā€™s turned on, and you havenā€™t added Rack to its exclusion-list, it will happen again in the future, because itā€™ll set the files and directories read-only again. Setting the files read-write yourself is not the right solution methinks, turning off ransomware protection or at least excluding Rack from the list, is. But glad itā€™s working for you now, for the momentā€¦

Good news, looks like the issue will be fixed in the upcoming release:

https://community.vcvrack.com/t/vcv-rack-2-0-4-pre-release-available/15619?u=larsbjerregaard

• Make Windows installer add Rack to list of CFA allowed apps, allowing Rack to write to ā€œMy Documentsā€ folder if Controlled Folder Access is enabled.

I solved it by disabling AVAST But iā€™m with windows 7 :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m on Win 7 for audio work, too.

Anyway, I can confirm that Avastā€™s ransomware module was the culprit. No need to disable Avast completely, just the ransomware ā€œfeature.ā€ This will fix the unarchiver issue, as well as issues with updating VCV and plugins.