How do i make short notes with sequencer?

Hi! I’m somewhat new to VCV rack. I’ve tried searching everywhere for documentation on this or tutorials and can’t find a simple answer quickly. I’m using NoteSeq by JW Modules and would like for the notes it produces to not hold “infinite” sustain until the next note is played. I’ve tried adding decay but no luck. Not sure what i’m doing.

Thanks for any help.

My quick answer is transform the gate it sends with a downstream modules like VCV Gates. This can set the length of gate or even make it into a trigger that you could then send to a function generator like an Attack Decay envelope that can make a snappy quick sound. I don’t use that particular sequencer enough to comment on changing its functions to suit your needs, but do rely on gate modifiers and envelope generators to shape the sound to my taste. You can even modulate the length of Gates gate output with cv from another module like an lfo or even another sequencer.

1 Like

If you plug a V/oct output from a sequencer into an oscillator, the oscillator will just sustain that note until it gets a new note. If you want to have individual note sounds, you need to use what is called an Envelope Generator, it makes a signal that you can patch to a VCA to raise and lower the sound volume. A typical patch is like this:

Sequencer ---V/oct ---> Oscillator ------audio----> VCA in    -----> Output
          \----Gate---> Envelope generator ---CV--> VCA cv in

Like @cubistguitar says, you can also modify your gate length with another module, this can change the shape that the envelope generator makes. The most common types of envelopes are ADSR (attack, delay, sustain, release) and AD (attack, decay). ADSR envelopes respond to the gate length, and if you want short snappy envelopes AD envelopes have no sustain.

1 Like