In this thread I will collect and compile patch sketches, complete compositions and releases, as I continue on my journey of tinkering and experimenting. Some of them may be reposts of stuff elsewhere on this forum, for which I apologize in advance. Some of them may not be VCV related at all (I do have hardware synths too, just not modular ones). Kind of like a backup repository to my music on the interwebs as it were
First entry in this thread, but not the first composition once I took up the hobby again.
Further exploration of modular techniques in VCV rack. Rhythm section – mostly sampled, except for the kick -, randomly selecting among one of 8 drum ‘n bass type patterns every 4 bars, with lots of swing. Some kind of polyphonic stab style accompaniment generated by a Turing modulator at the same swung tempo. Considerably slower, some kind of fat synth strings pad, a kind of swooooonnnng.
Originally it also featured a low bass drone yet it turned out that this was too much for my CPU, the crackle of glitches. I may publish the drone patch separately.
Compositionally, could do with sectioning (i.e. intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro), right now it just a verse that goes on and on and on. But that’s for another experiment.
And, in the preview video, you will see the display layout glitch at 4:54.
All free VCV rack modules.
First of two challenge entries for VCP challenge #59:
My first patch!
5x EUGENE rarebreeds in measures with relative primes (7, 9 and 11) to drive the rhythm section (mostly hora free drum kits) for total generative fun.
All free modules.
I had quite a bit of fun with that EUGENE module, so I put another entry in VCP Challenge #59.
Most gratuitous use of the EUGENE module; 17 in total. Length of the sequences are always Fibonacci numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21. EUGENE cannot do 34 as a base so I settled for twice 17 instead. Rhythm section uses 6 EUGENE to generate the polyrhythm (1, 2, 3, 5 and 8) beat including accent marks. Melodic accents use another 6 EUGENE modules with measures 13, 21 and 34 (2x 17). And, finally, 5 are used together with some clock dividers and some OR/NOT gates to mix the various voices into the composition. The only source of randomness is the root node for the arpeggiator, the drone and the bowl hits.
Again, all free modules. And yes, they are actually polymeters, not polyrhythms
And this is a piece I did in Cakewalk. Except for the drumkit and effects, which came with Cakewalk, and the string ensemble, which I grabbed from a soundfont, the rest are all instruments in VeeSeeVST Rack as a VST instrument plugin in Cakewalk.
No patches for this one I’m afraid.