Grayed-out/unavailable modules in Linux

I noticed that some modules from the library are unavailable in VCV Rack Free 2.5.2, Manjaro Linux; may it be my system missing something?

I saw that here too,

Are these the same modules ? (looks like it)

EDIT, I just noticed you linked to the same post :sunglasses:

EDIT2 : maybe contact support ?

@pgatt

Isn’t this what happens when you have another filter set?

Yes, sorry. I was inadvertently posting from another account

No, I didn’t set any filter and they stay like that even when pressing Reset filters

What is your window manager?

I just tested Linux Mint XFCE and Manjaro KDE Plasma, at least my nightlies show up in both (in Manjaro’s case, I checked using both X11 and Wayland).

Perhaps log.txt would offer some insight? I think the common ground for those plugins (if obtained from the Library) is they have been recently built.

Edit: my guess is one of the libraries in your system isn’t up to date.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for checking; I’m using Sway as I’m on a laptop ultra-constrained in resources.

Which log.txt should be checked?

The one for VCV Rack. It’s in your Rack user folder.

log.txt (398.9 KB)

Thanks! The last messages show that the modules are getting “destroyed” :thinking:

EDIT: also found a

[1.007 warn src/window/Window.cpp:250 errorCallback] GLFW error 65548: Wayland: The platform does not support setting the window position

EDIT 2: I have glfw-3.4-2 installed

The modules getting destroyed is normal, it happens on exit and is part of the life cycle of objects, if they weren’t… that would be a problem: memory leaks.

I can’t get Rack to run under Sway (in fact, trying, breaks my Rack installation); but that’s probably my fault: I didn’t even know Sway even existed until today and it seems it requires a lot of config, that needs a lot of time I don’t have.

However, what is the output of

pacman -Q | grep -i "gcc"
1 Like
gcc 14.1.1+r58+gfc9fb69ad62-1
gcc-libs 14.1.1+r58+gfc9fb69ad62-1

The libs are the same I have so, that’s probably not it.

Is it possible to try a different WM? XFCE is lightweight as well.

The reason I’m asking is because I downloaded the Library versions of 2 plugins that also don’t work for you (Biset and CV Funk) and they work fine for me as well. Looking at my log I don’t get the GLFW error and it strikes me as curious “The platform does not support setting the window position”, that may or may not have to do with how Sway handles windows; your GPU seems recent (it’s a Vega one, according to the log), so I don’t think that’s the culprit, nor GLFW, also I’m running Manjaro using VirtualBox, the maximum VRAM it allows is 128 megs.

Did you download rack binary or build from source?

With surge in arch we had the problem that from source rack with from library surge we’re incompatible and had to use the binary of rack with the binary library of surge or build both.

If you use the pre built rack binary this is almost definitely not the problem

@baconpaul I have the AUR version, not built by me.

@Bloodbat I’ll think how to try XFCE; this hardware is a bit strange, it gave me various drivers issues as it was a (touchscreen) Chromebook.

CPU: AMD Athlon Silver 3050C with Radeon Graphics (2) @ 2.
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series

Harping on what baconpaul said… I am using the version downloaded from vcvrack.com, that may help with the issue. Maybe worth a try before trying a different WM.

If that doesn’t help and you want to try XFCE, I think the WM should work: you already have some form of desktop working (it should be, after install, only a matter of switching sessions in the login screen).

Manjaro has an XFCE package collection ready to go in their package manager, it’s one of the desktops they offer as isos as well.

the aur vcvrack-bin or aur vcvrack?

the aur vcvrack non binary used to do a build which is incompatible with surge, at least.

Also: Neither SurgeXT nor VCV Free plugins are installing/updating in VCVRack (Arch Linux 6.3.x) - #35 by baconpaul

that can help you see if your error matches.

Didn’t know about AUR problems… I’m using now the version downloaded from the website, but still the modules are grayed out.

@Bloodbat will let you know about the XFCE trial.

1 Like