Glass Shard

Introducing my latest creation Glass Shard:

A free, node-based sequencer. Unlike its pristine progenitor, Glass Shard is scratched and scarred in interesting ways that will spark a creative melody in you. As an added bonus each week a new configuration of scratches and scars will be available. Collect, trade and explore a multitude of possibilities. Details can be found by reading the Glass Shard manual.

Glass Shard is totally free. But if you’d like to support me you can check out the two premium companion modules for Glass Shard. Glass Shim is a expander for Glass Shard that allows triggers to randomize the CVs, restore old CVs and much more. Glass Smith is you’re probability forge. It allows you to create new configuration of Glass Shard every day, and best of all each configuration from Glass Smith is unique to you!

24 Likes

Congrats on another awesome release! Add this to the list of all of the other amazing PathSet sequencers.

2 Likes

Looks interesting but curious why is there a once daily limit on new configuration even with the premium modules?

1 Like

This is interesting and cool. I have to say, though, I’m not currently warming up to the “Glass Smith has a global number of charges. These are shown as teal gems on the craft button. Glass Smith will gain one charge every day and can hold up to nine charges. Each charge can be used to craft one new configuration of Glass Shard” idea :sweat_smile: … It sounds like a mobile game mechanic.

To be clear, all the weekly configurations are being generated locally based on the date and whatnot? Or is there an actual network connection and fetching a configuration from somewhere involved?

(Edit: specifically, the gem charge thing sounds like a freemium / free-to-play mobile game mechanic inside an already paid premium tool.)

3 Likes

@Guenon and @Rodney thank you both for for taking the time to look at my modules. I really appreciate people spending time with my modules.

Server?

To answer Guenon’a specific question. There is no centralized server powering Glass Shard. The weekly configs are generated based on the time and the sharing of configs is done entirely though patch files.

Hopefully knowing that makes you more comfortable using it. But I freely admit Glass Shard is an experiment on many levels. And if its not your cup of tee I won’t be offended.

Why Limit?

The short answer to Rodneys question I want each configuration to be something you spend time exploring.

The long answer involves sharing my inspirations and intent with Glass Shard:

I like the idea of creating something that had a large number of combinations; I love procedural generation in video games. That’s why there are so many possible configurations for Glass Shard.

I also grew up loving trading card games. I wanted to make the configurations of Glass Shard something tradable, or at least sharable. The configurations created by Glass Smith are unique to you, but if you share them in a patch with someone they will have it added to their collection.

The roll of imperfect creative muse is something that took shape as I was developing Glass Shard. The idea that it can’t be be a blank slate or a piano roll, but instead each configuration is opinionated in it’s own unique way. That fits my way of creating music.

A version of Glass Shard could exist that allows you to fully configure every value on it. But that felt counter to the inspirations and direction I outlined above. Instead I hope each configuration becomes more precious and tangible, something that you spend more time exploring.

Feedback

I know a lot of the above reads like “because I want it to” and part of that is true but I also do value your feedback. If you continue to explore Glass Shard I’d love hear more of your feedback. Even if it goes counter to my design intentions it can be helpful for future sequencers I make.

More Sequencers

If you want to explore something different than Glass Shard I’d like to draw your attention to some other sequencers of mine: Glass Pane is an more clean network sequencer. Path Set Rainbows offers creative ways for sequences to be modified. And JP Lab / JPFree gives you a lot of authorial control while still having a hint of randomness.

If you like any of these more that Glass Shard I’d love to that. Or if there are parts of Glass Shard you wish one of these other ones had, I’d love to hear that feedback too!

5 Likes

Glass Shard and JP 4 track, 3 track and Star Matrix are some of my favorites. I like Grid also from Rainbows, it can do a lot with a little sequencing of its cv inputs. Glass Shard has a lot fun on tap, I like the odd limits, doesn’t take long to amass too many configs.

2 Likes