Geodesics Pulsars Cross fading 8 Ericas + 3d Fractal Animation Vid

The video represents many months accumulation of animations created using only the free programs Mandelbulb 3d for the image frames, Blender as an image sequencer to make the animation and MAgix to easily play around with images and music juxtapositions.

The VCV Rack patch is similar to my previous upload in that I was trying out mixing several voltage control pitches to try and get different melodies on the fly and so on. Then I was curious how Pulsar could work mixing eight oscillators being fired at once so as to have them fading in and out. I used my favorite oscillator Erica for this. I really feel this is just a start for this set up, I really like the variety of things I can get ebbing and flowing in and out of the groove.

Anyway, I think the music is good this time at least and the fractal video even better even if none of it is to hardly anyones taste at least I enjoy it, and I hope you do too! Cheers!

11 Likes

This video blow my mind. Very psychedelic. The music perfectly complements the atmosphere of the extraterrestrial landscape.
I like fractals too, but I didn’t know there was a free 3D rendering program. Thanks for the video and the tip about mandelbulb 3d, @Shaunduhpostman.

1 Like

Definitely will want to explore this for my album creation ideas.

Would like to know more about how the work flow is set up.

PondRacer

Yes, Evgeny, you can really go some places with the Mandelbulb 3d program. Some of the fractal scapes, if you are lucky, are literally as large as a planet and you can travel around and look around at bizarre shapes and even phenomena, there are some fractals that seem to generate wormholes, you go into the hole and up somewhere completely different. I’m actually working on an animation now where that happens. You can downlaod it and use it for free on windows and there is a Wineskins hack version that llows you to use it on Mac as I do, it is only a little bit buggy, but yes, put in your time learning Mandelbulb, it is very deep and not that easy but very rewarding and worth the effort.

1 Like

seems very fun, i might try too someday :slight_smile:

If you mean the work flow for making a video yes I can explain how I do it.

I start by just generating still images that I like on Mandelbulb 3d and then I put that image into the animation section of the Mandelbulb and then I play with the shape or location of the image, the color etc. to generate the next step and when I get something I like I again put that into the animation engine tell the engine how many frames to create between the two frames and there is a test renderer that can quickly generate fairly quickly a small screen approximation of what animation you have. If you like what you see you keep it and generate the next. Some people like to warp shapes and transform them. I tend to like to create whole worlds and travel through them and live everything fixed except for color that I like to have shift and change. There is no limit to how long your animation can be but it takes time and a lot of cpu power to render ever frame of your animation. Different formulas and rendering resolutions can take a really long time just for one frame. I avoid those excspt for making single non-moving pictures. But there are some fractal algorithms that generate wildly and infinitely complex patterns easily and quickly, like the Amazing Box whihc is a classic 3d fractal formula.

But, once you have all of your animation frames, very typically about 500 pictures for less than a minute of video, you then take those images and sequence them to be rendered as an avi format video in Blender. Blender can very quickly lay out your first to last frame and then spit out a video from that from the individual frames that you fed Blender. So for 1 video I typically assemble 3-4 minutes of animations and i also use a 2-d fractal program called Ultrafractal and another 3d program called Wildfire and sometimes combine animations from all programs. Then, I like to use something that few people like to use, Magix to add effects and dub music over the clips. MAgix allows you to set up multiple video processing patches and then sequence your patches and spit out a video. That would be a great thing of VCV RAck could do that, maybe for the future. Another way to dub yoour music over your video is just use a free program like Shotcut which allows you to have a video track and an audio track and you can drag and drop and move stuff around and cut and paste etc like a music production sequencer basically. Magix lets you play around with stuff and different orders and patterns on the fly once you patch things on each scene, Shotcut is a bit like composing rather than performing, though I beleive it also has a scene sequencer but less crazy and flexible effects than Magix which costs 60 dollars or so.

1 Like

Ok, thank you . I’ll definitely try that.

Yeah do it if it doesn’t take too much time away from VCV Rack. But its the perfect break that, it gives your ears a rest for one thing. Also I find that having video footage creates a purpose for finishing tunes instead of leaving thousand of things lying around on your hard drive 70 percent finished.And having good tunes gives inspiration to make good fractal or other kinds of video.

1 Like

You won’t regret it I don’t think, it really can be very exciting and rewarding as much so as music production.

Also, VERY helpful is Art Deviants web site, there are many tutorials and people share parameters that you can tweak and easily make your own images on that website. Mandelbuld is very complicated so just tweaking others designs can be a good way to get started, there is also a good randomizer engine in Mandlebulb you can make totally new images with but you do have to do a lot before you get one good one, still it is difficult when you first start to get anything good by using the hundreds of formulas with all of their parameters. It literally is a modular fractal synthesizer.

This is a link to my Art Deviants page, where i share a few parameters and have posted 80-90 images I have made since i got hooked on fractals:

1 Like

Looks very cool. Is this all the result of the program or was the post processing done? Particularly impressive is the lighting!

Its all done in the program. It has an excellent and very flexible lighting module. Color is is great as well and you can go for hours and hours just messing with color and of course shape, there are so many factors that effect the final output I never think about post-processing in Adobe or whatever which i don’t have or know much about using.

That’s cool. A little scary in its complexity, but worth a try.

It is only as complex as you want, like I mentioned you can try the Amazing Box formula and zoom in on it change up the colors. The navigator is critical. That allows you to quickly move around and find a spot you would like to render in full detail in the main window. It also on the right side has a button called “formula Values” which if you click has all the parameters that you can change to change the shape of whatever formulas you have loaded.

Sons, images. Une hyper-complexité. Toutes mes félicitations pour cette création ! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fantastic video, even though it is quite janky. Well done!