Fun with IONS, Duffy, CV-Map and Octet Seq

No matter what I plan to explore in my next patch, I always seem to end up revealing my Steve Reich and Philip Glass influences. Rapid tempos, slow variations, and instruments that sound vaguely like reeds or brass.

This might be the first time I’ve used a chorus module (and kept it in the patch).

The upper Duffy module transposes up and down by 5 semitones fairly rapidly, so it comes off as sort of a trill (again, that Philip Glass influence). Makes me think I could try it for making grace note mini-sequences (of 3, 4, or 5 notes, as in bagpipe or fiddle tunes), and saving it as a Selection.

The lower Duffy module changes by 2 semitones much more slowly, just to provide a bit of modulation. The CHANCES module is set for 33% chance of transposing up and 64% chance down. I like that Duffy is smart enough to wrap around, keeping things in the same octave.

9 Likes

Never any need to excuse that in my book :slight_smile: This is a lovely piece, I really like it. And Jorus always sounds great. It’s a shame you filtered it down so hard though, would have liked to hear a bit more of those higher harmonics. But very enjoyable!

I know what I gotta do now. Set a timer or counter. After a few minutes, feed the S&H 8 modules some fixed voltage through Sapphire’s “moots” module, and then when all 15 steps in IONS are the same again, have it stop the master clock and fade it out.

That resonates with my influences. I really like this piece :grinning:

Well, crap. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I just noticed that the lower REVERB 2’s MIX was at zero for the video. It should’ve been at 20%.

Umm… The audio path on the bottom row is FM-OP > JORUS > REVERB 2 > COMP then the output mixer, so nothing through JORUS is filtered. If you mean the middle section, I needed the filter to cut out the buzziness and make it more like a French Horn.

I know what I gotta do now. Set a timer or counter. After a few minutes, feed the S&H 8 modules some fixed voltage through Sapphire’s “moots” module, and then when all 15 steps in IONS are the same again, have it stop the master clock and fade it out.

Done. it involved adding a CMP (poly comparator), COUNTDOWN 3, POLY LOGIC, DUAL GATE DELAY, T F/F, FADE, MOOTS, REFTONE (to set the notes that IONS ends with), btn (a manual trigger & gate button), and a lot more of NYSTHI’s PVM and 1M meters to see what’s going on.

And I turned the reverb back on.

Really like what you have produced there, very Reichian! Is the patch available to play with? Much appreciated.

Flattery gets you somewhere. :wink: It is now, after I’ve cleaned it up. Enjoy.

And . . . it includes nine and a quarter NOTES panels of documentation, whether you want it or not. I may need them a week from now. :thinking:

It was a useful activity because while I was writing them up I got an inkling of an idea for zeroing out the S&H 8 modules when I hit the CLKD Reset button, instead of having to right-click on them to initialize them every time. It involves the unused MOOTS inputs/outputs.

The title I gave it is total nonsense. “Tondo” is a word for a circular painting, and “Laticca” I just invented tonight.

P.S. The version on Patchstorage has everything dropped by 5 semitones (with the two Bogaudio STACK modules), compared to the youtube video version.

2 Likes

It is fun to play with. Thanks.