FractalGee's patching stuff

Just a bit fooling around.2 different Mutable Braids implementations and an Opulus for the main voices, a Rescomb2 for added texture, FM-OPs for bass, and LaDrone for, well, drony stuff that washes in and out a bit. Add lots of modulation, a homegrown sequencer and some delay, Leslie Rotary for bass, 2 Plateaus, one in tuned mode doing the rest of the treatment

8 Opuli, driven by 2 QARs doing the interplaying melodies. The Opuli on either QAR are same, however the settings on the second QAR are reversed, so Opulus 1 of QAR 2 gets the 4th setting of first QAR etc. Then added some VCV drums to provide a bit of structure, driven by Bernoulli gates. Loosely inspired by Terry Riley’s ‘In C’ minimalist piece.

1 Like

The TrummorFM Orchestra.

4 TrummorFMs handle all the sound in this patch, the rest is my usual plumbing

2 Likes

Exploring @DaveVenom’s amazing Rhythm Excplorer. Add some bass, a couple of highly processed (in VCV) synth voices and a touch of effects and EQ. No DAW abused in this.

Patch: FG_R2_179_35_RhythmExplorer_Fun.vcv (15.4 KB)

You will need the free https://www.patreon.com/posts/busterse-42658623 VST and the VCV Host module (paid) to get this patch functioning fully.

2 Likes

Fun patch, I really enjoy listening to it. And it is very cool to see Rhythm Explorer being used!

Just a heads up on usage:

Because you are using external RAND input, many of your inputs are ignored when it comes to output patterns. The Seed and Dice inputs are totally ignored, and also the Phrase and Bar values have no impact on the patterns when using Rand input. Since you are not using the Bar Start or Phrase Start outputs, the Phrase and Bar serve no purpose what-so-ever in your patch. And since Reset simply resets Bar and Phrase to the beginning, Reset also is having no effect. You would get identical results if you removed the inputs to Phrase, Bar, Seed, Dice, and Reset.

Also, since you are feeding monophonic input to RAND, all the divisions will see the same “random” number, so any divisions with equal density will fire (or not) at the same time. When using external RAND input, you must feed polyphonic “random” values, one for each division, if you want the division beats to be independent from each other.

All the info is in the documentation, though it can definitely get confusing until you grow comfortable with the concepts. Hit me up with some questions if something doesn’t make sense.

But all that doesn’t matter - the end result you achieved is still great.

When I use Rand input, I like to use two polyphonic LFOs, each with 8 channels, and all channels tuned to different frequencies. I then mix the two LFOs to get one polyphonic signal for the Rand input, with each channel being a different complex waveform. With this setup I perceive patterns that constantly shift, in a recognizable way, but are never quite exactly the same. It can give some nice results. If I use the Phrase Start to reset or sync the LFOs, then it transforms into an exact repeating pattern,

yeah, well, I don’t RTFM until I need to, but didn’t occur to me that the inputs couldn’t be mixed (would be fun!) Thanks for edification at such length. Def more patching with this fun beast coming up. And thanks for kind words :slight_smile:

@abluenautilus Seaside Modular’s new Jawari emulation form the drone voice, with one of the 2 having the first string tuning modulated by V/Oct. There is two twangy Palettes (clone of Plaits with much more CV control and many features exposed) as well as a @modlfo’s Opulus for Bass. Add a Conga line as rhythm backdrop and groove element from first @Ohmer’s QuadPercs, and the assorted higher register sounds by the second QuadParcs. Add BusterSe (emulation of SSL console’s Bus Compressor VST via Host and Airwindows in Dubly mode with a @DaveVenom’s Recurse of 2 on the two Palettes. 100% VCV Rack, no DAW abused.

Patch below, but you will need the following commercial VCV modules to get this sounding as it should:

Vult Modules

VCV Host

Slime Child Audio Substation

Flag Oppressor Pro

also you will need:

The free BusterSe SSL Bus Console emulation VST (https://www.patreon.com/posts/busterse-42658623)

Also, the Nysthi Poly Scala Quant uses the following scala file that is not default, but is in the full scales archive that is in the Nythi plugin res folder: dudon_gayakapriya.scl

A decent pair of headphones, or a good sub also recommended

FG_R2_191_19_TwangyJawari_Fun.vcv (16.0 KB)

7 Likes

Fun with some SpitfireAudio LABS Lapsteels, SurgeXT SineVCO for layered bass, and an Opulus for another synth voice. Generative and 100% Rack

1 Like

More follies: Vult-heavy patch. 5 Feigens driving 4 Opuli and 1 PowVCO(bass), and some TrummorFM drums to round things out (Lapsus driven) added a HUB to sequentially run voices 1 and 2 through delay clock 1X and Plateau and another delay at /1.5x of clock rate. ScalaQuant uses the dudon_gayakapriya.scl file from the scala archive.

You also need the BusterSE Bus compressor (SSL) VST and Host to make it sound the way it should, so almost all free modules (apart from host)

1 Like

A dystopian space soundscape

Made a while back and just unearthed and dusted off…

Good headphones recommended

2 Likes

After a long hiatus I finally patched something I liked enough to record a bit of it.

3 Likes

And some more patching, seems to be going decently these days…

Some mellow patching, using the PathSet Bridge sequencer to drive 4 Opuli. Added some layered bass and some basic drums to fill things out.

4 Likes

Some sounds drenched in Reverb, with a kick and a mid lead to keep things anchored, and a good bit of bass as a foundation. Made with VCV Rack. No DAW abused. Headphones recommended.

5 Likes