Four View - my new favorite. Yet...

I use this thing all the time for testing and detective work. In fact it’s recommended in my manual!

Clearly the “identify the chord” features is a little crude. Which is fine, but check this out. It can recognize a C Major triad as a “C MAJ” chord, but if I move the third down an octave to make what I would call a “C Major chord, first inversion”, it can’t recognize it. Although I would swear yesterday it was just calling this chord some weird E chord…

Here’s a pic:

@marc_boule

2 Likes

Indeed, music can be complex, and your description of the first inversion is probably not what I saw/used when coding the module, so it think the module interprets the first inversion as moving the fifth down an octave:

Yes, I’m seeing that same result. But of course the fifth in the bass is called the second inversion, isn’t it? (that’s what Wikipedia says, so it must be true).

Btw, nice use of the old portable clipboard format. I should support that!

In either case, it would be “nice” if my chord was recognized as C MAJ / E.

2 Likes

That’s an understatement! Add capricious and arbitrary. As we all know, musicians can argue over what to “name” a particular collection of notes… Often it depends on the notes before and after…

2 Likes

I think it’s hard to predict what chord is used in the open voicing Squiky used. If he used a closed voicing with an E in the bass it would have worked. Say you used an F in the bass together with the C and G, would this be a Csus4 or an Fsus2 ? :grinning:

oh, good point about the voicing. I should make those more conventional for my (MIA) presets. I don’t know if it’s “hard to predict”. Wouldn’t anyone call that a C Major?

The guitarist in me would call it a C5/E but yes it’s basically an open voiced Cmaj chord.

I like sus4 lots better. Off I go back in my hole.

1 Like

C5/E seems ok. I know one “could” call it some sort of E chord, or something even weirder. But it think most ppl would find that pretty strange.

1 Like

As you predicted, using a normal closed voicing does let Four View identify the chord. I could quibble and say most ppl would spell that “e flat” rather than “d sharp”, but it’s pretty “minor”

2 Likes

:wink:

well, that’s pretty good. Harmony II (and now 1) figure it out for you. But, yeah, setting it yourself is fine.

1 Like

fyi - it uses a super simple algorithm. And doesn’t even try on weird scales like whole tone or diminished. Or chromatic…

Its a real shame that 4 view is voicing sensitive. Seems like if you could detect a pool of notes adds up to a chord, you could just name it and add the slash and lowest pitch no matter what the exact pool looks like spread wise. But I know nothing about the under the hood mechanics. Seems like this could work for true slash chords like C F Bb D, so out comes Bb/C. Would love that level of complexity, I love the sound of slash chords. Of course you have choices when its Db G C E, is that Db diminished major 7 or C/Db.

I use Four-View in every patch since my modules deal with chords so much and am impressed at how well it does. But, I truly think that chord notation is sometimes ambiguous, or I am just over or under thinking it :wink:

2 Likes

I think it is great if it just shows the notes anyway. I usually use the VCV quantizer as a scope for what notes are generated kind of tool. But for 4 or less pitches 4 view is better, may start patching it myself. I don’t think chords need the complex names, but a module that could analyze for harmonic function would be amazing and likely not realistic.

1 Like

If you have not, check out the Chnenual NoteMeter module. It will display note names for up to 12 poly channels.

4 Likes

There are for sure cases that are hard and/or ambiguious. An inverted triad is not one of them. but since it’s only a minor feature of the module anyway, it’s still plenty cool for me.

I like pianoid by unless games for this, because it also shows how notes are spread across octaves.

3 Likes