FM Filter?

Hey everyone,

Just recently started exploring VCV, and I’m having a ton of fun. The thing is I’ve been looking around for a filter that has an FM knob but can’t seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone know of one?

In the modular world the modulations are not often included in the module itself but you rather have to route a separate modulation signal into a voltage controlled parameter. For example by patching an LFO into the “Freq” input of the VCV Fundamental VCF filter you can get the frequency to modulate.

Thanks for the quick reply! And yes I thought maybe that would be the case haha. I actually got the idea from this video while studying sample and hold at around 1:50:

He modulates the fm knob with the sample and hold and gets a nice sound that I’ve always wanted to make. I’ve been tinkering with a VCO modulating the filter frequency but can’t quite replicate the setup from the video… Do you have any advice on how I could approach this?

1 Like

I think you’re referring to the bit at 2:50 where he mentions “plug it into the FM input on our filter.” The filter he’s working with at that point is this one, the Evolution from Rossum Electro-Music.

If you look at the picture of the module on that page, there is no knob labeled “FM” nor is there a CV input labeled that way. I think what he means in the video is that he is using the S&H signal to modulate the cutoff frequency of the filter. You can likewise connect a sample and hold to the Frequency CV input of many filters in VCV Rack to modulate their cutoff frequency.

No I’m specifically referring to 1:50, where he routes the output of the S&H to the FM CV input of the WMD MMF module:

1 Like

Well, I guess that it’s labeled FM because this filter will self oscillate and will track also 1/oct so together with the 1/oct input you get also FM like on most oscillators. I’m not so sure if the fundamental VCF will track 1/oct, but there are many filters that do this, but anyway what he’s doing at 1:50 is really sending a S&H to the frequency of the filter aka cutoff point. I hope it helps…

1 Like

Thanks Omri! Will take what you said and experiment :slight_smile:

Let me know how it goes :slight_smile: