Feature suggestion: invisible cable for CLK, RESET and other overused connections to unclutter the view

There are some cables like those connecting CLK or RESET to many modules that add unreasonable clutter to a rack.

I would like to propose a special “cable” which is invisible and can be connected from a certain output to many inputs without immediate visibility. This visibility can be switched on or off, but default would be transparent. This would help to unclutter racks where the main clock is connected to many modules.

The idea would be just like a Ground symbol in electronic schematics. I hope this idea is readable - English is my third language :smiley:

3 Likes

(You may know it, but) there’s a utility in the Submarine pack, which adds to the cables’ color palette - or lets you restrict it to only one color, say gray, to make those CLK RESET connections.

The issue with Rack doing something like this is individual cableColors are not classed as separated cables they are all the same and take the opacity from a master control in the view menu. I wonder if @carbon14 would be able to fulfil this request, if a cable is a certain colour reduce the alpha of this one cable?!

For Rack bug reports and feature requests see:

https://vcvrack.com/manual/Issues#feature-requests-for-rack

2 Likes

@Coirt, thanks for the heads up. It would certainly be possible, but it might be tricky to implement in a robust way. I’ll have a think

2 Likes

Thanks. I know the submarine tool. You could also go the oldschool way and just fidle with the settings-v1.json for the same effect.

My idea is more or less to unclutter massive clockgenerated racks where tens if not hundred of connections are to the main clock and the main reset output form the clock generator.

Imagine Pins (four or five colors would be sufficient) and every “blue pin” would connect to every other “blue pin” without showing the cable. There would be a send PIN - just one of every color! And any number or receiver pins.

Maybe a sketch would be more helpful to understand my idea

EDIT: I could also imagine those pins for chord generated randomized sequences where the notes of the chord are sent to many oscillators which are triggered by different gate sequencers, turing machines etc. etc.

4 Likes

Use GitHub for this request, It may not be responded to here!

https://vcvrack.com/manual/Issues#feature-requests-for-rack

Essential the Little Tools Teleport module in pin form. :+1:

Request was rejected by Andrew – “This would overcomplicate the UI”.

:crying_cat_face:

@rickglasser ThankYou Rick I know Little Utils, but Teleport makes my racks even more complicated for me - remembering which position on the one side connects to which on the other…

And it is not just about the clutter - I am not an compulsion driven person. It is just sometimes about not be able to see the important cables beyond all those yellow signal cables i do not need to see ever… Or, which drives me mad, not being able to use knobs and switches, because some cable is in front of them so I can not see the position and have to zoom in.

OK enough about this rant… it isn’t happening …it would make the UI overcomplicated

2 Likes

The OP didn’t inspire me as it sounded like a proposal to standardize something nobody wants standardized, but seeing the UI concept with little signal-agnostic pegs, it makes a lot more sense.

Makes also sense this wouldn’t be considered for the core, but… is there anything preventing us from implementing it ourselves? The API gives us a lot of tools to interact beyond the boundaries of a single module.

2 Likes

Bumped into this topic because I had exactly the same problem: trying to find a button that was stuck behind a whole bunch of clock cables.

Anyhow, with setting the opacity to 45% and cable tension to 0.98, it’s quite okay for me.

Just out of curiosity: how is this handled in physical systems?

If you mean cables hiding the view, in the real world you can make the cables go in squiggly lines instead of straight or uniform tension slope. You can see it in patch videos on larger more permanent setups, they can have pretty elaborate “highways and roads” style groupings of cables, leaving knobs and buttons visible. But I guess this is too much preparation to do most of the times if you want to change the cabling frequently.

If you mean the gate/cv etc distinction, afaik it is handled the same way as in Rack, you need to keep a mental map in your head about what goes where, which can only be helped by panel design/labels, cable colors etc.

2 Likes

FWIW, learning to work with cable transparency set at full, will benefit you in the long term with understanding better to what is being patched, without having to see the signal flow all the time.

It is worth the learning curve, if any.

Velcro, cable straps

1 Like