Fahmi M. - Music Releases / Sound Experiments with VCV Rack

Lovely sounds. I’d never considered using samplers to process incoming audio, it’s definitely something I’ll be trying on Duduk and using to expand my “effects pedal rack”. Thanks for sharing, J

You’re welcome, use sampler not just as ‘effect’, it transform to new sounds in composition (real-time), and not just ‘make up’.

1 Like

Modular Beats : 003

128 bpm live jam with sound sources of Autodafe drum kit, Plaits for drone/pad sounds, and VCO-1 for bass.

Download this patch.

All sounds made with modular synth, use only two module as sound source : Mutable Instruments Rings and Braids in VCV Rack.

Except : Gamelan (saron & bonang) recorded by one mic condensor. Process to Max Patch for granular synthesis.

Approach in minimalist direction, truth of the materials, less effects, and all about between free improv, composition, and sound design.

Inspired by system of analog tape loops : the sounds as the tapes turned into dust, organic (looping but never be the same at every loops) and warm sounds. Brian Eno once said that “repetition is a form of change”. I try to make modular patch based on it with VCV Rack. Like tape edits itself, introducing gaps, unexpected nature of looping, and bits of silence that create a lopsided rhythm.

Use 40’s jazz samples (public domain) in sampler module control the speed/pitch and play position with tidal modulator. Approach like hip-hop producers, who develop sample banks of favored snares and hi-hats from old songs. Same routing for vinyl crackle samples, but without speed/pitch control. For experiment and create post ballroom music / music for abandoned hotel / introspective vibes.

Braids to Rings (as filter), layering with Marbles to Rings in VCV Rack, and blend with spoken words in France-Germany / human voice.

Modular Beats : 004

Modular techno jam in 125 bpm with Autodafe drumkit, Mutable Instrument Braids, and Plaits as sound sources.

Get this patch.

Generative Music : 003

Inspired by electro acoustic music. I recorded kalimba sound with mic condensor, import it to NYSTHI Simpliciter, and set random for some parameters : gate, octave, pause time, variation speed. Layering with generative sounds of Mutable Instruments Rings, and at the main out of the mixer, all sounds to Valley Plateau reverb module.

Get the patch + kalimba sample.

1 Like

Ambient modular jam made with VCV Rack 0.5 (2018) in live recording / no overdub.

DIY tapeloops on walkman mod processed in VCV Rack :

Unreleased Track : 001

Made with modular synth use resonator module and process to granular processor in VCV Rack. Inspired by bell sound, metallophone, and introspective vibes. Live recording, and no overdub.

Listen :

Preview

and

Full version

Modular techno jam with VCV Rack 0.4.0 (since 2017) :

Unreleased Track : 002

Ambient music composition made with modular synth used three modules as sound sources : mutable instruments plaits, braids, and rings in VCV Rack. Blend with field recording of forest sound as texture.

Listen :

Preview

and

Full version

1 Like

Ambient modular tracks, all sounds used only one module as sound source : Mutable Instruments Plaits in VCV Rack. Approach in minimalist direction, less effects, and free improv / no overdub / live recordings.

Patch : image

1 Like

Unreleased Track : 003

Experimental music composition based on noisy drone bass use Erica BlackWaveTableVCO, granular textures with program that based on MaxMSP, choir voice like from tapes, dark cello in long sustain, and distorted found objects sound. Post sacred vibes on empty stone land.

Listen :

Preview

and

Full version

Ambient Modular Patches : Mutable Instruments Plaits in VCV Rack

In these ambient modular patches, I try to challenge myself to explore sonic possibilities that focus only use one module as sound source : Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator 2 / Mutable Instruments Plaits in VCV Rack. From generative sequencer, with effects of delay, reverb, and granular processor. Minimal approach and no overdub / live recordings.

The idea & concept, inspired by organic structure, magic, and unpredictable flow in the nature. All natural phenomena — rain, snow, fire. They are all meant to be seen as random and chaotic, but they are all working altogether in constant change and interaction. Music & sounds inspired by ambient artist from 80’s and 90’s.

Audio video version : Part 1 / 4

Audio video version : Part 2 / 4

Audio video version : Part 3 / 4

Audio video version : Part 4 / 4

1 Like

Generative sounds of sinewave on iPad to trigger MI Rings on VCV Rack

1 Like