Eyeballs in Candyland: 3d Fractal Animation +VCV Rack Soundtrack

One of my other hobbies is making fractals and then you have to just turn 'em into animation, so here’s the latest. This is my first published VCV rack music production though I have used a lot other software such as Reaktor, Ableton etc to do the other tunes up on my Youtube page many of them with fractal animation done in Mandelbulb 3d and Ultrafractal. I don’t go in for slick and polished so much as live performance stuff and jazzy, no-wave, funky and groovy as opposed to modern classical. The groove is VCV Rack and some probably questionable doodlings using Massive and Massive X with quite noisy glichty effects processing using Reaktor modules.

VCV rack modules used in the patch were:
2 Impromptu Modular Clockeds
1 MSC Hacks 16 Channel Mixer
1 Valley Plateau
1 Count Modula Multiplexer
1 Befaco Dual Attenuverter
1 NYSYTHI Poly Scala Quantizer using the Ancient Greek Diatonic Hemiolion tuning
2 Erica Synth Black Wavetable Oscillators
1 Erica Modular Black Octasource
2 VCV Rack VCAs
2 VCV Rack ADSRs
1 Stellare Modular Pelisia
1 Stellare Modular Sigma
4 Geodesics Entropias
1 Count Modula Polyrhythmic Generator
1 Drum Kit Synthetic Bass Drum
1 Drum Kit Snare N
1 Erica Pico Drums
2 Count Modula 8 step sequencers
1 Count Modula 8 step trigger sequencer

The way i have the patch set up is all of the note sequences being mixed in Pelisia so while I am certainly not using all of the Entropias and 8 step sequencers they are there to be mixed in and out for performance.

I hope you at least enjoy the fractal eye ball candies even if the music is a bit less than brilliant.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I have been looking for software to create visuals to go along with the patches that I produce. Now if there was a way to link the sound generated with the fractal animation…

yes, export the CVs with logan and generate something with LOGAN timing and values

2 Likes

The program I used to make the fractal animation for this particular video, Mandelbulb 3d, does not have a way to link the sound so that it influences the fractal animation, but there is another excellent free program called Mandelbulber that has a relatively easy way to link sound files so that volume, and I believe certain frequency band volumes will modulate fractal parameters. Personally, I don’t think the whole idea works that well for 3d, to me it looks like dancing cathedrals, landscapes, planets as much of the 3d stuff is quite architectural and massive scale. But there’s a musician nick named Paigan0 on Art Deviants who is a real enthusiast of dancing glass and steel and aside from the music he makes which is not to my taste and the dancing buildings he makes some jaw droppingly good fractals using Mandelbulber. Both fractal programs are as all consuming as VCV Rack and with quite a steep learning curve, but equally as rewarding. After a year or so of experimenting daily you’ll be doing some real amazing unique stuff. There are on Art Deviants tons of people talking and discussing and sharing parameter and creating tutorials just like VCV, so you’ll find all the help you need on Art Deviants.

2 Likes

I forgot to add that there is a relatively inexpensive music visuals oriented video sequencer called Magix that is only about 60 dollars or so. Magix also allows you to use various audio parameters to modulate paramters in the patches you create in Magix. It has a modular patch set up, where you can patch all kinds of MAgix modules together so VCV Racketeers will be quite at home. Its very difficult to get anything subtle going on however and there’s very little support or community out there. Still, it is quite a lot of fun and very useful to montage short clips into sequences, I prefer it to using say the free version of Shotcut which is a more conventional video sequencing workstation. But Magix does have its own native visuals producing capabilities as well as ability to use quite a wide array of coloring, glitching, stylizing modules to make video almost like clay in your hands.