Expert-Sleepers Recommendation

Hey,

I found some expert-sleepers threads, however none of them is answering the question I have in mind.

I evaluate purchasing an expert-sleepers module for vcv-rack and cv-max interaction purposes. Which one do you recommend (especially with respect to best-bang-for-the-buck)?

bests

Arne

If you already have an interface that has ADAT in/out, then the ES-3 (outputs) / ES-6 (inputs) combo is probably your best bet.

If the Expert Sleepers will become your main interface, then ES-9.

If you want to maximise the CV in/out potential and have it as your main interface then an ES-8 with ES-3/ES-6 add ons connected to it by ADAT.

If you really want to maximise CV in/out potential then maybe an RME Digiface with 4 x ES-3 and 4 x ES-6 attached!

I wouldn’t make the decision based on cost, but rather on what you are trying to achieve and which will integrate best with your existing setup and workflow.

3 Likes

Something else to consider.

Best-bang-for-the-buck for me was an old Expert Sleepers ES-3 mk 2, that I bought pre-owned for $150. It runs on a Behringer UMC-1820. Trouble free.

Steve nicely summarized things above, and I totally agree. “Best” will depend a bit on what exactly you are doing and already have. I use an ES-9 and love it for what I do.

Note that a combination of either an ES-8 or ES-9 with some of the expanders is also an option.

Last, and only related to the topic, bear in mind that there are some additional considerations that play into building hybrid systems- specifically as it relates to clocking and latency. Plan out how you are going to structure your patches and systems and just be aware of those being issues you’ll need to consider going in.

1 Like

One of the benefits of the ES-9 is that it can work very happily standalone with a midi controller or an iPad. Whilst I originally bought it to interface hardware with Rack (and it was the first module I bought) I now rarely do that and it works perfectly well as my main Euro mixer (I have it configured with two mono sends/stereo returns, all controlled with my old BCF-2K).

2 Likes

ok brilliant. I have an fireface uc that - to my knowledge - has an ADAT in/out. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Yeah, dream scenario. Two questions: Can the iPad act as USB host? Because the ES-9 needs that right? And, is it just a matter of reading the MIDI CC values to use for the onboard ES-9 mixer in the manual, and then getting a controller app on the iPad and get it to send those CC’s?

USB - yes (you need the camera interface for it). The iPad is usually on duty controlling the Disting EX for me but I have had AUM connected to the ES-9 in the past.

The CCs cover all basic mixing needs but they run out quickly. Beyond that you need to use SysEx if you want hands on control over the per channel EQs etc… I haven’t done that but others have. I replicated the ES-9 configuration + CC setup at the bottom of this page for my BCF, but you can see a far more advanced setup using MidiDesigner Pro in the video. https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=226245&hilit=es+9+standalone+summing&start=275

1 Like

Thanks!

Ah yes, I thought so. That would preclude any old MIDI controller as well, because they can’t act as USB-host.

Since I already have lots of ADAT capable gear I went with ES-3 and expanders. People pestered Os for years for USB converter modules so many ditch ADAT-only when they upgrade. I finally got my ES-3 a couple years ago lightly used for less than $150.

The ES-8 and ES-9 are both amazing and would be better for my purposes, but I’m poor and biding my time. Main issues have been that I’m gradually switching from an all Mac-based setup to using more Linux and iPad. My old Macs and Hacks are equipped with Firewire ports either natively or PCIe card, so I use my old MOTUs as main preamp, converter, and ADAT interfaces.

But my newest systems are a mini Linux box and iPad and neither have either Firewire nor ADAT, nor even easy ways to add them. So from a perspective of spending $300-500 for a nice new USB3 interface with ADAT ports, it could be cheaper and/or easier to just go with a new ES-8/9. Also I have lucked out that I was able to use my MOTU Traveler with Linux FFADO drivers, but MOTU compatibility is flaky and unsupported. In comparison, the ES-8/9 are both class-compliant and should run on pretty much anything with a fat and clean USB pipe.

Also, be aware that TOSLINK optical ports can carry ADAT signals, S/PDIF, or both. I like the ES-9 best, but I don’t have much gear with USB-C yet, and it’s TOSLINK only does S/PDIF meaning that it’s not directly an expander to my existing ADAT-heavy setup. So I prefer getting an ES-8 with its USB-A and ADAT ports.

Just FYI, the USB connector on the ES-9 is USB-C but the computer doesn’t need USB-C support.

1 Like

The ES-9 has a midi header on the back that you could connect to any breakout panel to connect a keyboard or controller.

Are you sure? Because that would mean that the ES-9 is a USB host, which I have not seen mentioned anywhere. It would also seem strange since a USB host cannot connect to another USB host, which the ES-9 is meant to do (the computer). USB is not a “connect anything to anything” protocol. It is strictly for connecting a USB host (e.g. a computer) to a number of USB devices, e.g. keyboards, MIDI controllers, etc. Read more about it here.

Ok, reading up a bit more in the ES-9 manual, I can see what you mean with the MIDI header. It means you can connect an ES MIDI breakout module which is MIDI DIN to the ES-9, and in turn connect something like an ES FH-2 to the breakout module, which does act as MIDI USB host, and in that way connect external MIDI USB gear, which most things are these days. That’s quite an expenditure on additional modules though.