Eurorack Modules You Want in VCV Rack

This one:

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/panharmonium/

4 Likes

Ah, ok, so clearly you have requirements above “something that sounds like a rhodes”. That’s cool. It’s for sure true that the only way to modify what comes out of SFZ Player is with the input velocity and the Linear FM input.

Also, although sound font does support sampling at different velocities, most sound fonts out there are pretty old and were made for environments that don’t have a lot of RAM, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have different velocity layers. Of course a real rhodes is very touch sensitive, and when you bang on one hard some crazy sounds come out.

A quick search didn’t find me any free SFZ that are meticulously sampled. There seems to be some paid ones.

btw, I’m not quite sure what you mean by “I like native solutions”. Of course literally SFZ player is certainly a native VCV solution. I myself prefer VCV modules to a VST in Host because there is no issue of delays due to buffer size, etc… But I’m pretty sure that’s not what you mean. I’m guessing you mean “I like solutions that can easily get the sound I want, but can then be CV controlled to get all kinds of other sounds”. Yes?

Check out frequency domains Harmonic convergence and Freudian Slip. Both inspired by that module

2 Likes

Hello pgatt-just found this by chance on github

GitHub - sfzinstruments/jlearman.jRhodes3c: 1977 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73, shorter looped samples

Sampled from a real 1973 Rhodes piano, would that help you on your quest for Rhodes nirvana? Just trying to help.

2 Likes

That’s a newer version than I had found. Thanks for mentioning it.

That’s ok, lets hope they work in SFZ Player now. There are loads of weird sampled instruments on that link, I have downloaded most of them. See how they go on in the module.

I am using this Rhodes-Sample-VST in Host. For 25$ it is just amazing.

1 Like

You got me there @Squinky. That quote about sums it up. Seriously though, SFZ player is great. If anything it’s probably more a criticism of old SoundFonts that aren’t that exciting. Will definitely revisit it with the sf’s that people have linked!

1 Like

One aspect in which the sfz player is lacking for me is that it can’t play notes out of 12tet. would it be possible to change it to play any frequency? i may fork the repo to try that.

I’d have to think about that. SFZ itself is very oriented around midi pitch - all the opcodes that map samples to pitches use then. You could certainly hack it up to do something. Of course the pitch mod CV let’s you re-tune any note, so maybe it would be easier to find a way to keep the main input at 12et and somehow change the temperament by adding pitch offsets in there?

For sure if you were going to do it “right” you would need to decide what it means when sfz says: lokey=C3 hikey=E3 sample="piano-at-d.wav"

It would certainly require a little thought, but it seems reasonable.

I will say that SFZ Player is one of my more complicated modules, so it would take a while to find your way around in there. But it would be very cool if you got it to work.

As you probably know, most VCV modules are implemented in one or two files. I see there are 37 just for the inner “guts”:

1 Like

Actually, just adding an unquantified option wouldn’t be so hard…

How about the tune opcode?

tune / pitch - SFZ Format

E.g. sample=G2.flac key=43 tune=17

Qu-Bit’s Databender. I would kill for this module. I feel like it could be made dramatically bigger to make the UI more friendly as well.

9 Likes

It would still be 12 tones, but, yeah, that would get you different temperments for sure.

Implementing the pitch_keytrack opcode may work for micro tonal music (might be kind of a janky workaround, but you never know…)

Well, I think anything that starts with “edit all your SFZ files to desired tuning” is going to be pretty janky :wink: Oh, and sorry to hijack this thread, but I figure some new posts will come along to take it back.

Yeah, it’s set to 100 cents per note,so if you set it to 50 cents you should get 24 TET…possibly, maybe, in theory.

I’d be willing to throw some money at this development btw, assuming whoever is up for it has published modules already

Well I have created a patch that does some of the features of this. You will need to supply your own samples for the Voxglitch Repeater. So here it is:

Data bender maybe.vcv (43.7 KB)

I don’t have Unfiltered Vol 1. or Hora Processors to load this, but even then, part of the point of DataBender is that it operates on live input instead of needing to act on samples. I could also load a glitch effect VST though host, but that’s also a bit clunky.