Eurorack Modules You Want in VCV Rack

Those Hetrick modules have been around a long time as well, I’m sure we had them in 0.6.

1 Like

Yeah, but still, I seldom see people use these modules in a interesting musical way.

For instance, feeding a traingle / saw LFO to a crossfader, then feed it the ADC converter can yield interesting interrelated gates for drum patterns. I guess most people just like straight-forward top-down design approach to modules like MI Marbles …

2 Likes

I think it’s more that it wouldn’t occur to anyone to use those modules in that way. Also there are other modules that give you weird drum patterns like MSM Xseq.

Yeah, I do agree that module is a bit uncommon / obscure, but that’s the joy of patching uncommon things :wink:

This wierdo: image

5 Likes

Hey Wavtek, have you had a chance to check out some of the Choatic modules we released in June? They might be exactly what you’re looking for (audio rate chaos rendered in three dimensions, chaotic LFO, vactrol simulator, etc.) We worked with David Dunn who has been using a chaotic synthesizer he built to kill invasive bark beetles and modeled his system: VCV Library

Our Shoggoth module is this, but with more control. Check out my post above to link to it. It has the ability to sample and hold, slew, cycle (manual or via external gate), etc. It goes up to audio rate, so you can do sample rate reduction for weird staircase waveforms, or use it as a simple filter. It has end of rise out, end of cycle out, control over slew symmetry as well as CV control of attack, decay, rate, and the logarithmic to linear to exponential curve.

1 Like

Hey Awesome! I didn’t know you can do the SSG with it as well! I’d love to give it a try! How many octave can it track? I felt deep in the serge rabbit hole since a few month, one thing I wish to find on other function generator are the attenuverters for rise and fall cv mod, it allows many fine controls, and it’s also a lot of fun because it’s normalled to the function output when not connected :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to double check with David (who handles our DSP) to fully explain the tracking, but basically, because we wanted to make sure the low frequency functionality was solid, it doesn’t track for more than a few octaves. We intentionally set it to be more like Maths or the SSG where the controls and design is set to handle slew/LFO/S+H really well, and the audio rate stuff is an added bonus, it definitely works as an audio rate effect, with the sample and hold (like sample rate reduction in a bit crusher). I use it as an Osc fairly often though, and because it sounds really nice (to my ears), we are working on an oscillator focused design that removes the slew functionality, but keeps all the cool waveshaping. If you want to use as an audio rate osc, you can send the square out from the standard VCV oscillator into the trigger input to create sounds “sync” similar to the Mannequins Mangrove osc in euro. This basically means the rise and fall are doing things similar to pulse width modulation, but it also effects the waveshape itself. Lots of fun to be had, especially when using the chaos modules for modulation.

1 Like

When this is used at audio rates does it alias?

Not unless you’re using the sample and hold input to make it do that intentionally :slight_smile:

nice - so you can use the sync in from VCV oscillator without much aliasing. That’s pretty cool.

I can post a patch with it, definitely sounds fun.

well, if you say it has alias mitigation in there just in case someone runs it at audio freq, then I’ll believe you.

I’ll make a point demonstrate it during the livestream I’m doing Friday. I don’t know specifically how David handled that, since I do UI/UX and sound design and David handles all our DSP.

I made an oscillator from the Rossler attractor, which you can also perturb with input:

I am teaching a course on Dynamical Systems this fall; preparing for it is giving me lots of ideas for VCV rack although I can never guarantee I will have the time to execute them.

The book “Elegant Chaos: Algebraically Simple Chaotic Flows” by J.C.Sprott is a great source for these I think, its basically a long list of examples of chaotic attractors with simple definitions, which means all of them would be very feasible to generate at audio rates (although maybe they are more usually useful as LFOs).

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a dedicated Rhodes piano module…

1 Like

@pgatt : there are an awful lot of free rhodes in sound font format. Why don’t you download one and convert it to SFZ so it will play in my SFZ Player?

I have done that: and it’s a pretty awesome result. I just like native VCV solutions I guess, no knock on SFZ player it’s a welcome addition to VCV. I think part of it is probably that I don’t necessarily understand how a SoundFont works and I probably could get where I want with a better understanding of velocities and some of the other modifications to what sound comes out.

This patch sounds good - by Michał Wolski

I built it from the video; it plays well with a keyboard or you can add a sequencer and load a MIDI song file.

Soft Rhodes Electric Piano.vcv (25.9 KB)

1 Like