Eurorack Modules You Want in VCV Rack

Since Synthtech has collaborated with VCV, and Paul Schreiber has stated that he´s interested to bring out more:

E370, quad WT VCO, please !

E352, single WT VCO, dual outs, please.

…these are NOT the same !!

you can´t take multiple E352 and patch what the E370 can do.

Thus, both, please.

its the best sounding WT engine i´ve ever had my hands on. Not sure if it would sound same in the PC.

To notes: My own WTs -made for the E370- do Not sound when loaded into (the best) WT plugin Synths. They do not translate. Its a difference of night and day. My whole way how i do patch with WTs is Not working with any soft-Synth ( not tryed within VCV) No wonder, that there are no WT Synths out there which would have similar WTs. There is none.

plus: the: E352/E370 Engine has a “Sync” input that works like no other. Best ever ! you can even use WTs as the wave for the sync Master, and it “translates”.

guess, the VCO would have to run oversampled internally.

Please bring it !

1 Like

Yes, indeed yes, AND, the E520, please please please !!!

1 Like

Yup, E370 gets my vote.

E580 and E102 here. Please. Especially the latter.

This one is for @andy-cytomic - I have three wet filter dreams for Rack: A real SEM, a Qpas-ish design, and a faithful MiniMoog down to AJH level obsession. Then I could die a happy man. Will absolutely pay for that.

4 Likes

Oh, and since we are pitching filter ideas to Andy -Santa- Cytomic, a Serge Resonant EQ would be bananas.

7 Likes

I would add Mutable Blades and Intellijel Morgasmatron.

4 Likes

More filters, the merrier. Another vote for Blades and SEM.

3 Likes

When it comes to filters, I would like to see the Doepfer A-101-6 Six Stage Opto FET VCF.

2 Likes

+1000 for reseq

Gonna chip in my want for Mutable Instruments Blades to be ported. Though, I know from firsthand sources that it won’t be available any time soon (as in, ever).

Wonder if throwing a gofundme at the problem would solve it?

I am unclear about what I want to see in Rack.

Do I want things that are unobtanium in hardware? Do I want things that I don’t have in hardware? Do I want things that I do have in hardware so I can develop patch ideas in bed at night? (the answer to the latter is yes!)

I don’t see any point in cloning multifunction digital modules in Rack. O&C, Disting, Pams etc. are necessary evils in hardware, a usability nightmare, and pretty much everything in them can be, and has been, broken out into individual modules in Rack. One knob per function always has to be preferred.

Leonardo and Andy, amongst others, have given us outstanding analog models, and I think that this is what I crave the most (and I see from the suggestions that many of you feel the same). Sometimes I even prefer the model to the original - I have a hardware Freak, and a Vorg, and I prefer the sound of the model in the Freak.

However, I think there are limits here, because every analog instantiation is unique. The Serge Resonant EQ, a popular recent choice, and my favourite hardware module, has 3 chip possibilities and multiple capacitor possibilities, and every one of them likely sounds different, and different depending on how long it has been powered up, the ambient temperature, etc… The feedback circuits break down into total distorted chaos - how can anybody produce something that accurately models that?

I built a Hardwired Engineering Valvs - A cascading quad tube VCA. It is the filthiest, most evil-sounding thing I own. There are 4 trimmers for each channel - allegedly, you can tune all the channels to sound the same; well, good luck with that - it was enough of a challenge to trim each channel into something usable (reminds me of when my Brenso was no longer tracking - I had to send it back to Italy to get it retuned). I’d love to see something that sounds that evil in Rack but good luck with modelling it.

Mark Barton has done fantastic modelling of Moog and Arp (or Behringer’s take on it, anyway) on another software modular, and I would love to see those in Rack. Softube seems to be on a mission to model the 80s classic synths and break them out into modules (that are lacking in CV inputs in some areas), and I would be happy to see those in Rack too, because they sound incredible. Neither of these is very likely to happen.

I would love to see more Eurorack companies porting their digital algorithms to Rack (I’m looking at you, Noise Engineering).

And, like many of you, I would like to see more analog models. We are very fortunate in the affordable options we have already, because when I look at the prices that a company like Softube charges for theirs, I think ‘actually, that’s fair enough’.

At the end of the day though, I am quite content with what VCV and its incredible community of developers offer already. More than many lifetimes to explore.

5 Likes

perhaps a bad example? Aren’t those Vult physical modules that are based on the Vult VCV modules?

The drift and decay that occur depending on how long it’s been turned on COULD be simulated, but do you really want that?

“You’ve owned the module for 6 months, and two of the capacitators have started to leak.”

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. It’s just different. It sounds great, but I slightly prefer the non-linearities in the model. I haven’t compared them in a graphical equalizer but those notches that occur when you sweep it at high resonance seem more pronounced in the model.

However, Freak is often being used with another algorithm somewhere, so the Vorg gets plenty of use.

1 Like

Yes, with this module, I definitely want that :slight_smile: Sometimes I like to set bands on the edge of resonance with drones and let the module randomly drift into it. In this case I want it to be unstable (maybe that’s just my soldering though!).

At other times I am playing it, treating it as an instrument more than an effect. It has no CV inputs so it is hands on. In this case any drifting is less noticeable.

On a different tangent, how would people feel about a module which was all knobs and no CV in VCV, because that is what it is? If you add CV you will get a great module, but it won’t be a Res EQ any more.

Knobs are automatable (with the right companion modules), so all knobs is not an insurmountable issue, other than the fact that many modules handle parameters (knobs) at a much slower control rate and CV at audio rate, which might be limiting.

If you’re tempted to do an all knobs module, then it’s worthwhile doing a companion double size version with CV and knobs, or an extender that adds the CV ports. Then your users have options.

1 Like

If Serge had meant this module to be automatable, he would have provided CV inputs.

On the 4U modules he does, but he chose not to for the Eurorack version. Space compromise or design choice?

I think that two versions are probably best as you suggest! I would certainly be interested in automating it, but the experience of using it would be very different. The lack of automation and the necessity of playing it is a restriction that makes the experience of the module quite unique in my rack.

Make everything capable of being modulated and damn the torpedoes.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: