Euclidean-Golomb Ruler Sequences in VCV Rack !?!

(Omri Cohen) #1

The beautiful thing about modular synthesis is the ability to combine all sorts of different ideas into one strange concept, like the one in this video, combining two different rhythmic approaches, the Euclidean sequence with the Golomb Ruler sequence.

The Euclidean sequencer will distribute the pulses or the divisions as evenly as possible across the sequence, but the Golomb Ruler sequencer will do the opposite, distribute the pulses or the divisions as unevenly as possible. Chaining the two sequencers, both are from Frozen Wasteland, can create quite interesting rhythmic results.
10 Likes

Very interesting tutorial… as always;) Thanks!

I have noticed a difference between the Euclidean sequences generated by Frozen Wasteland “Quad Euclidean Rhythm” and Southpole “SNS Euclidean Sequencer”. For example, a sequence of length 9 with 6 beats will be:
110101011 in the case of Frozen Wasteland, and
110110110 in the case of Southpole
… the second one seems more “Euclidean” to me.

I was wondering whether this was a design choice or an implementation issue in the Frozen Wasteland version. I am using a Mac and do not know whether this difference is also present in other platforms.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1 Like
(Denis Tercier) #3

Just tried tjem. Awesome chaining. Thanks for the tutorial. Very inspiring, as always.
Taken from your setup:
euclid&Colomb.vcv (57.9 KB)

1 Like
(Omri Cohen) #4

Hi!
You are totally right… It’s weird actually because a Euclidean rhythm will be, as you said, 110110110, but I get 101010111
I guess we should inform the dev.
Thanks for the input!

(Omri Cohen) #5

Oh nice one! You also modulated the sequences, very cool! The sound is also really nice, ver percussive and snappy. Good one!

1 Like

Thanks. I will create a new issue in github.

1 Like
(Josep) #7

I think that this comment on the video in YouTube should be here, mainly because it may help newbies (and the not so newbies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)!

vxkhwz : can you elaborate on the sequencer chain? and why/how you connect it to the clock?

@Omri_Cohen: Yes sure, you have a few modes on the sequencer, None, Boss, and Employee. The master sequencer will be the Boss, and all the slave sequencers (you can chain more than 2 of course), will be slaves. The EOC output of the first sequencer will trigger the Start input of the second sequencer, the EOC output of the second sequencer will trigger the Start input of the third sequencer, and so on. And the EOC output of the last sequencer in the chain will trigger the Start input of the first sequencer, the Boss. This way, you create a loop. About the clock, all of the sequencers should be clocked, of course, you can choose to drive all of them with the same clock or use different clock divisions\multliplications, and you should also reset them together with your clock or a different trigger. Of course, each sequencer has 4 rows, so you can choose to chain one row, two rows, and so on. Here is a screenshot:

p.s.: i don’t have much time for VCV Rack this days; thanks god we have your videos (and those of others) to enjoy watching them in our mobile devices and learn how to use the modules, while we wait to put all those really good ideas into action in our own patches …

So thanks a lot for your effort doing such a helpful videos (you and all the rest: VCV Rack Ideas, ML, The Art of Sound, etc.) … Without real manuals for most of the modules, it would be quite difficult for us (if not impossible), to learn how to do something in the VCV Rack Modular Synthesis realm!

1 Like
(Omri Cohen) #8

Hey, thank you so much for posting this here :slight_smile: And thank you for the kind words!

1 Like
(Josep) #9

You are welcome! :wink:

Personally, I always have the norm to look at the comments of any video that I watch (not only on modular synthesis), since there are always some good ideas/explanations/points-of-view, which usually do not appear in the videos. … So sometimes, when I capture some videos for my personal video library, I also capture the comments to have them as reference … and what can be a reference for me, it can also be for another, that’s why I’ve posted here this concrete comment.

BTW! This afternoon i downloaded the new Alright Devices modules (the link points to the eurorack manuals) and i’ve been playing with one of them (ChronoBlob2) which to me is really nice delay module, so i’ve included it already in my “template.vcv” as main delay module :heart_eyes: … Have you tried it?

(Omri Cohen) #10

Oh yes, I loved it! It’s so alive…
And you are right about the comments, that’s totally true…

1 Like
(E Sterling) #11

Hi, Eric from FW here. Getting back into rack development. I’ll have this issue fixed for 1.0

Thanks for finding this

Also have some ideas for improvements. Right now, by default, each track is independent (they each advance a step on a clock input), but if Time Sync is enabled, the track with the most steps becomes a “master” and the other tracks move at a ratio. So if the master track is 14 steps, and track 2 is 9 steps, it’s time will be 14/9. Next version will allow any track to become a master so you can get times like 9/14 as well. should be interesting :slight_smile:

4 Likes
(Omri Cohen) #12

Hi Eric! That’s great news! Thank you for all the nice modules :slight_smile: