Entrian CV and Gate usage

Hello,

Still learning this great tool! But I have real difficulties to understand how to manage CV pitch and gates… Of course I read the different videos and web page.

I would like for instance to program a glisendo for a voice, or a harpege. So I need a CV information for a pitch, and a gate. In a track, I create a « CV and Gate » peace of information. I enter the start and final note CV pitch in a channel. I enter a gate in an other channel, from the begening up to the end of my note.

I take the output of this track (V/tr & gt/ac) , and connect them to a VCO and ADSR. Doesn’t work.

I tried other strategies, like entering pitch and gate in the same channel. Doesn’t work too.

Actually, I think I don’t understand how to manage that. In each track, I have up to 16 channels, so how to get each of them? Even if I « split » them, I can’t find the way to manage that.

Could you help? Alain, France.

We might have a language or concept barrier so I’m not sure what you’re asking really. But… if you’re asking how to make glissando aka. “glide” in Rack it’s very easy. The way you do that in modular is with a type of module called a “slew limiter”, like this:

Oh, on re-reading you’re talking specifically about the Entrian sequencer and glide on specific notes, but not all, I think, so never mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Alain,

Could you post simple examples of your patches?

does it look like this?

you enter the first (red) note and the last (green) note and want the glissando from the first to the last?

then you need to enter notes for each step in the glissando you want, or you use a slew limiter for it like Lars did. Or you try this:

Thank you! And sorry for my English :grin:. Actually, I don’t have the music vocabulary…

Hello Richie,

About my problems in the previous message, I started a new patch from scratch, and it worked. So, Entrian works well :grinning:.

But I realized that I may be maid a confusion between CV and Gate usage on the Entrian’s outputs. I thought that when entering a 10V signal in a channel, I could get a Gate of this on the CV output. And actually, not! But when getting the same signal on the Gate output, I have a Gate! And of course the behavior of the rest of my modules using this Gate was a little bit strange :flushed:.

In addition, I forgot sometimes to Split the track with the channel used. So once again, the behavior was so strange…

It’s better now! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for your ideas!

Yes, this is what I would like to do: A portamento from a start note to a target one. But: I don’t want this effect between all the notes! That the problem I have. This is why I would like a sort of Gate to enable the portamento effect just between certain notes.

I tried many Slew limiters from the ones you suggested me (you and other guy in this discussion!) But these tools décidé automatically when to apply this portamento: depending on the gaps between two notes, or tile, or other sofisticated mechanisms. But I didn’t find a Slew limiter with: In, Out, Slew parameter, and a Gate (or a trigger with a delay)…

Sure I don’t understand something…Alain

The Befaco slew limiter in the video has CV for the slew so you could actually have a control track that is 0 when you don’t want slew and is some-CV when you want it.

1 Like

controllable portamento built into entrian would be nice even though it’s simple enough to control it externally. probably that would be hard to implement because it would need some redesign.

Adding portamento, controlling the shape of the glide, and adding it only between the notes where you want it, is really easy with ShapeMaster…

3 Likes

After testing several modules like this type, I had a nice result with this one. Thank you again for this idea!

1 Like

I didn’t know this monster! Wahoo :astonished:. Thank you!

1 Like

No problem! Jakub Ciupinski made a great tutorial video about sequencing with ShapeMaster:

and you may find the new Node triggers functionality and ShapeTracker module useful (which is not documented in the manual yet…) - he covered that recently too:

5 Likes

Note that you can do per-note glissando with Entrian Timeline, by defining a CV track for the glissando, and adding it to the melody track like this:

That’s an octave jump upwards on a Melody track, with a J-curve slide defined on a CV track. The two are added together to produce the resulting note. A couple of subtleties:

• The two notes overlap, and the Melody track is set to monophonic, to avoid retriggering the gate between the two notes.
  • The curve on the CV track goes from 0V up to 1V, and then jumps back down to 0V. You need to reset it to 0V, else all subsequent notes will be transposed up an octave.
3 Likes

I will try that. Interesting! Alain