Easiest way to sum a polyphonic signal to use with a monophonic mixer?

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn’t find a similar question: I want to use the Hora 16 channel mixer (because it’s the one that the tutorials I’m following uses) but it seems to only take the first signal from the polyphonic output cable and ignores the others. My current work around is to place a Bog Audio MIX 4 mixer in the path, since it seems to sum the polyphonic signals.

Is there an easier or better way to solve this problem? For instance, is there a summing module that I could use instead of the MIX 4?

mono inputs are “supposed” to be summing. That doesn’t mean all/most are…

yes, there is a module by VCV, it’s called SUM

you already have it :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I know you’re using the Hora mixer but…

The MindMeld mixer gives you poly input summing options per channel. By default it will sum poly signals on the inputs to mono. But you can also set it to sum a poly signal on the Left/Mono input to stereo (odd channels go left, even channels go right).

Just sayin’

3 Likes

Steve is correct, use Mindmeld is always the right answer because it’s the best mixer! :smiley:

With polyphonic signals, I also like to use a spread module which automatically pans different channels across the stereo image and gives a lot of width to the sound. It’s maybe a bit much on chords but good for certain things like effects. Either, um, ass spreader:

Or:

Same functionality but the Stocaudio one has a less dubious name.

2 Likes

Thank you. This is the perfect solution to my immediate problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I don’t want to get distracted by figuring out different mixer routing while I’m doing the tutorials but I’ll definitely switch to Mindmeld when I start building my own patches.

1 Like

You will love the MindMeld mixers, they have such fabulous options for routing and control. I really think of it as integral to my VCV sound now, hard to fathom rolling without a MindMeld. My latest fun move is to hook up the group send returns to a stereo filter, put several related voices and their effects in a group and filter the whole group as a way to bring voices in/out. Have fun with VCV, it’s a blast for me.

4 Likes

Great idea, I hadn’t thought of sticking an insert effect on a group like that. My favourite trick is to assign the AUX sends to a group, then apply effects on top of effects. For example reverb on AUX A, and delay on AUX B, then add reverb to the delays.

1 Like

For sure, must send delay to reverb!!

1 Like

Indeed I do. I’ve converted all of my tutorial walk-through patches to use it where appropriate. It’s going to take a while to figure out all of the tricks I can try with it, but I’m very happy to have had it recommended.