Easiest/best way to map DAW MIDI to Drum triggers in VCV Rack?

Using the plugin and looking to send MIDI from my DAW to VCV on MIDI Channel 10, but in order to determine which triggers/gates come from which drums (e.g. which is kick and which snare) in the MIDI there doesn’t seem to be a way to match the notes (e.g. on my track C1 indicates a Kick and D1 a snare) with the corresponding gates other than manually sticking the split MIDI into something like the FOUR-VIEW module and trying to see which notes are which and then using the same indexing such that if output 4 on the SPLIT V/OCT is the kick then uses trigger/gate output 4 on the SPLIT gate. This gets a bit laborious as the mapping seems to change the next time a different MIDI track is sent which has slightly different drums, can’t always rely on the kick showing up on output 4.

Any module that can help with this and enable me to set up MIDI mapping MIDI from DAW to VCV drums maybe as a preset or something already designed for the task?

Ideally I guess I’m after a module or small patch that allows me to do something like “Consume this polyphonic MIDI. If a note on arrives and is a C1 then fire this trigger, if a D1 then this one, if E1 then this one…” etc. Any ideas?

followed by gate to trigger if needed ?

2 Likes

Oh wow, that looks exactly what I’m after. Cheers, I don’t know why I never noticed that before. Maybe I was searching for triggers and not gates. Ta.

Just tried it, works perfectly!

If I need buffering and velocity, I have used this with a midi to gate module.

1 Like

Oh damn, wanted to start identical topic, but auto-search offer this. Thanks about simple solution. That better than i imagined (was afraid that will necessary to clone MIDI>CV factory module).

Just bought VCV Drums recently (liked sound, initially just because kick , but when i tried all rest, was pleasant surprised how each model is non-static, cool).

1 Like

I’m also running e-drums into VCV, and I have Midi > Gate working perfectly, but how do I capture the velocity of each drum? Using Midi > CV provides Velocity, but it doesn’t split it out per-note…

EDIT : Bah! I just saw Midi > CV has a right-click option for “Velocity Mode”. RTFM, self!

Was just finishing a reply.

“velocity mode”… If you need a gate to go with that, you could use VCV compare:

The red cable would be velocity, and the green is the gate.

The velocity mode signal will not always be high enough to “open” a given module. the manual says that:

trigger inputs in Rack should be triggered by a Schmitt trigger with a low threshold of about 0.1 V and a high threshold of around 1 to 2 V . Rack plugins can implement this using dsp::SchmittTrigger with schmittTrigger.process(x, 0.1f, 1.f)

link

Compare outputs 10V when the input is larger than 0V.

2 Likes