Dub in the style of King Tubby

Hello just found this in the Library, would this module be useful for this style filter?

VCV Library - RJModules RandomFilter (vcvrack.com)

Thank you for all these wonderful module ideas, please keep them coming!!

RJs +AS filter banks

I’m sorry but the RJ random filter doesn’t help

I expanded my example patch a bit to show you that,
if you have the paid Vult modules Ferox and Vortex you can hear the difference
and see what I meant by build a work around

there is a channel with the RJ random filter but it doesn’t do anything to the sound
and there are channels with the work around and send FX

maybe this gives an idea how it could be done or at least started :wink:

2021_05_14_dub-fade-example_03.vcv (92.8 KB)

Just realised I have not got Vult paid for filters got ‘Freak’ though, so where do the Freaks need to go , instead of Vortex and Ferox?

I can tell you from my experience with the Neve 1073 that its 3 pole highpass was quite odd. So if anyone wants to really nail this they will need to get a real one and measure it. Like @modlfo would do.

I did a new version of the patch and inserted Freak, butthe sound is still different,
and not so Tubby-ish (as with the original Ferox and Vortex) imho,
but maybe you get the idea.

2021_05_14_dub-fade-example_04.vcv (99.1 KB)

Thank you for putting so much of your time into this! Much appreciated. Just working on a Tubby style Spring verb with added ‘Tube and Vacuumba’ distortion. See what mayhem I can create with that.

I seem to enjoy making Fx chains rather than creating Dub tunes at the moment. Would drums sound best through the Spring verb set up? Just tried Organ3 through it.

Yeah, drums. Anything short and percussive will really bring out the sproing.

Thanks Squinky, gonna do some drum damage later.

yep drums and springs can sound pretty nice.
I would like to see some of your fx chains here, to see what comes out of all this

Thanks, I will experiment some more with drum sounds through my Spring tube/Vacuumba combo and if I get anything good I’ll post the patch on here. I have found a few Dub patches on Patchstorage, just trying to figure what works and what doesn’t at the moment.

Here’s my take on the Spring Reverb through XFX Tube distortion, no rhythm , just noise:

BD, SNR-Filter delay +Spring tube.vcv (36.9 KB)

I Min Of Spring Vacuumba Drums by Adrian Bottomley (soundcloud.com)

A patch I automated all the faders on MindMeld both manually and through Stoermelder’s umap, taken rsmus7 idea to the extreme possibly, but here’s goes the track produced, then the patch

Slow delay sustained n Automated faders 1 by Adrian Bottomley | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Delay long sustain+Automated faders.vcv (47.5 KB)

When I want to Scratch that irie itch, I like to deploy multiple sangster delays, set to different delay times and added into / dropped out of the mix by a matrix switch:

1 Like

Thanks Drew, not done that trick for my Dub noodlings, tried single delays but not 3 of them! So to get the full effect, a different sound in each Sangster or experimentation time combos? Much appreciated.

I’ve made a strip to show how you could do it,
just load it ( through the stoermelder strip module) and connect the compressor outs to a mixer or your audio out,
and then play with the routing in switch44 and everything else :wink:

Strip_Dub_Delay_example_01.vcvss (20.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Stephan, as you were creating your version, I put the same or similar set up together using samples of a Melodica in Complex Simpler, added some reggae drums, yours is a lot calmer than my version. Much appreciated.

When I try to paste the strip in I got this;

is this a bug or is JavaScript not doing it’s thing for some reason?

Maybe you did something wrong ? Open a patch load the Strip module an then load the Strip_Dub…etc . vcvss via the strip Module. Or even better put the *.vcvss in the preset folder of Strip and load it as a preset :

1 Like

First try was in my Echo Desk template - second try in a new blank patch - same result. I just tried it again and it works :no_mouth: :ghost: :scream_cat:

1 Like

Aren’t computers amazing… :blush: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Kudos to you - this is great and fun to play with :sunglasses:

1 Like

thank you Peter for the detailed explanation,

and thanks to you screenslave,
great when I can make something that someone else likes :blush:

1 Like