Dreamworld Plus One Challenge (September 2024)

Hmm… I downloaded the patch on another machine and the LFO shapes are exactly like in the video, and the patch sounds and behaves exactly like in the video. The patch was made on Rack 2.5.2 with Surge XT version 2.2.4.0 which is the latest version in the library. Do you have an update of Surge waiting in Rack perhaps? Or maybe a very old beta that needs to be deleted on the disk first?

The way to select a shape in the Surge Quad LFO is simply to click on the shape in its box and then select the shape and uni/bi-polar.

1 Like

This is what it looks like for Him/Me, the shapes are different

1 Like

Interesting. That’s the upper left LFO, right? Well, the rates are the same and I actually think the waveforms are the same, only the pictures are a bit different, like when you use the deform knob. Why I can’t explain. Does the patch sound like the video?

Clicking on each waveform in the upper left LFO the settings are as follows. Is it the same on yours?

Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 11.37.37 Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 11.38.01 Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 11.38.13 Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 11.38.25

1 Like

Yes it’s the same but only the shapes look different.

1 Like

Yeah, interesting why only the pictures are slightly different. Only @baconpaul would know why the pictures would initiate slightly differently, on say a macOS vs. Windows machine. But as long as the actual waveforms are the same, we’re all good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The displays for random waveforms use a fixed seed. In the XT Rack the code is

gen = std::default_random_engine();
        gen.seed(525600 + 8675309);
        distro = std::uniform_real_distribution<float>(-1.f, 1.f);
        urng = [this]() -> float { return distro(gen); };

std::default_random_engine is a lib-c dependent default and so responds differently to seeds based on the libc, platform, etc…

this means on a single platform in a single instance the indicative displays will be stable (namely they won’t re-seed and jitter when you change rate or deform or some such) but they are only indicative so won’t necessarily be stable across libc.

The runtime one uses a different seed per voice and so will indeed be random. (and so they won’t be the same, but they wont’ be the same in a properly distributed fashion).

5 Likes

Thank you for the details! Yes, I have version 2.2.4.0 as well, but running on Windows. For me, the shapes look exactly like the ones in @Yeager 's screenshot. But I guess, @baconpaul explained it all already. I was trying things like double clicking, dragging on the shapes and searching in the context menu if there was an option to deform the shape manually :slight_smile:

Thanks all for explanations, and sorry for distracting from the main topic in this thread. Let’s return to this. Great patches and music here!

2 Likes

I made an entry to the challenge. I chose Surge XT to accompany VCV Rack free modules and the wildcard Plateau reverb. I set the reverb to about 11. I was in a dreamlike state of consciousness when I patched it, so, take that into account. haha!

14 Likes

Hi! I can’t figure out how to panning the stereo signal using only fundamental modules. I need this to modulate the pan of the stereo signal coming out of the reverb. Is there any way?

Fade is an option; but you need separate L and R signals.

Another option is… just lowering or increasing the volume of one channel over the other; this needs only some kind of attenuator; but still, separate L & R.

Both my patches for this challenge do some form of this “panning without panner; but with mixer”, so you might wanna look at either, or both.

Thanks! It seems so simple.

1 Like

#3 Clockwork

clockwork.vcv (7.6 KB)

8 Likes

@veryfungi That was a beautiful and super mellow patch, and I really appreciate the explanatory captions. Explaining how your patch works is an educational bonus for people, which is a key part of our mission here.

2 Likes

Love the steampunk clock :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I got this new video editor Movavi and it makes adding stuff really easy. I like mellow. haha!

hi! #2 aurora dream a generative, slow evolving patch with LFOs SurgeXT + VCVfree

patch and video:

5 Likes

Loved all entries so far! :heart_eyes:

Here’s my very dreamy and calming ambient patch.

I chose SurgeXT as the plus one, as this collection gives you great sound and modulation sources as well as effects. But of course I couldn’t do without valley plateau as the end of chain reverb.

The main idea was to replace my usual chord sequencing with 2 SEQ-3s, summing their CV outputs into a polyphonic cable to provide the harmonies of this ambient piece. And then other voices pick up some of the chord notes to complement the pad. This patch also includes my fake ambient piano setup (SurgeXT Twist VCO into a roomy reverb). I am still surprised how convincing this sounds from time to time.

Video

Patch

18 Likes

Now that’s legit dreamworld stuff right there… My brain is lit af. :slight_smile: Super good job! I will head over to youtube and do the things.

2 Likes

Wonderful ambient patch, far better than mine!

1 Like