Dreamworld Plus One Challenge (September 2024)

I think that would be fun… I am not sure if the feedback would be… what’s the word… enough? There’s a better word, I am blanking, I don’t remember. Anyway, you can try! That would shape it into some interesting form eventually if all goes fine. Cause there are lots of creative people here and I bet they would have some interesting ideas, but of course, people come and go, they get busy with work and family and all that… And some people are here to consume ideas, not to produce them, which is also totally fine. So yeah, I am a bit pessimistic about engagement, but if it sets up, that would be supercool to see it developing even further, yeeeah

1 Like

Knives ran, he had been running for as long as he could remember. The demons from the sky were close. He had to to hide.

A swamp? How did he get here? He couldn’t remember; but he knew running would be impossible while threading the murky, stinky water.

Go up, hide in the treetops. That was his best bet. He climbed, as fast as his human hands allowed him… that’s when he heard them, their horrible growls.

He looked down from the trunk to see one had caught him, its terrible glowing eyes and those black, sharp talons… that tore through his flesh and snapped the bones in his leg.

A silent scream formed in Knives’ throat. He woke up, sweating. Spaceships, post-apocalyptic humans… demons… silly dreams. He composed himself and headed to his studio… that game wouldn’t score itself.

When he opened the studio door, his eyes widened in fear, terror, even… more than he had ever felt.

Someone had stolen his mixer.

The video:

The patch

nightmare.vcv (7.0 KB)

14 Likes

Hi Don, in my opinion, your challenge is fine, it’s great and inspiring as it is!

And no matter what you come up with, there will always be someone who likes one challenge more than another or decides to skip on occasion. I think that’s fine too.

My preference would be to talk about creation and music and spirit and feel, not about criteria. Wouldn’t that be more fun?

1 Like

Certainly the theme part is more fun to talk about. However, the criteria/constraints are important for practical enjoyment of the participants. I saw that my choices were a bit controversial this time. I really would like to get a better understanding of how other participants feel, not just what I think is fun.

2 Likes

I think, the “Plus One” is a real challenge for a “Dreamworld” patch.

What do I think that I need?

• good reverb for dreamy soundscapes
  • sequencing tools
  • shiny VCOs

This is all great discussion, but I would like to move this side topic to this thread, so we can focus on this month’s challenge. I’m not going to change any more rules at this point. I’m happy to discuss more about the October challenge and afterward in the thread linked above. Thanks everyone!

I’m fine with that.

1 Like

My second of five entries is a deep delta brainwave drone:

The patch is available here.

7 Likes

Is there an easy way in the browser to distinguish VCV Free from VCV Paid at module select time?

also, if you want a collection with a bunch of modulators, VCOs, reverts and delays, and filters…well…

1 Like

Right-click on the module in the browser and look at the Plugin field.

Right. So roughly “no other than click each one!” But thanks! I’m glad I wasn’t missing anything.

In the end I only needed a handful of free modules anyway. It was mostly working around Seq3 being a pretty rudimentary sequencer.

YT is uploading. Once it’s done I’ll come back and edit this. But here’ the patch storage

3 Likes

Very nice composition! And Surge XT is definitely a strong choice for anyone’s “plus one” plugin.

1 Like

Here is a minimal entry using only Venom modules plus VCV Delay, Audio, and Recorder, plus Valley Plateau.

10 Likes

Toyed with two other patches, but let’s get the obvious out of the way: Audimutable Instruments + an extra Plateau.

16 Likes

No.2, “Shepard’s Dream”, Bogaudio (and Plateau). Went a lot back and forth with this: Count Modula has a Shepard Tone generator, but not a lot other modules that make a great lot of sense within this challenges’s restriction and then I’d be left with whatever has a reverb. Went and (tried to) build one with the core modules, which kinda worked, but only with the right timing of manually resetting 8 LFOs.

7 Likes

a microtonal dream world:

dream world in 33ed4.vcv (40.3 KB)

7 Likes

Used only VCV modules and one Galactic.

13 Likes

used VCV and Surge XT

2024_09_05_dreamworld_rsmus7_01.vcv (18.3 KB)

10 Likes

No. 3/5. Valley (and a MIX8)

11 Likes

So many great patches have been posted! I’m eager to see what happens over the weekend.