DR4-Modules-development

I’ve played with both Count Modula and Bogaudio, but haven’t found a solution. With Count Modula I have problems with json, otherwise it would work, but there is a small step that maybe I have to customize, otherwise it doesn’t work, and I don’t know how to do it, it’s more advanced programming than my level

Bogaudio does not use svg file replacement, as in my case.

@Squinky Except the Fine parameter, the oscillator is the exact copy of Fundamental as all the other modules are the reproduction of Fundamental, the menu I need to be able to write a single VCO but select 20 panels, there is no difference between the oscillators , at least not now, maybe I can add differences in the future

Oh, right, I forgot that.

It’s a tricky one. Octave, Semitone and fine is great for setting up a VCO for musical playing/sequencing, and useful for FM, but a non-starter for any sound design involving pitch mod, where a continuous pitch knob which covers the full range is necessary.

Personally I think the ideal would be a full range pitch knob with key modifiers to snap to Octave and Semitone and a separate fine knob as this gives you the best of both worlds.

1 Like

It’s not a non-starter, you can always feed anything you want into a CV. But I’ll buy “a little less convenient”.

I like your idea, but how will people know that snapping feature is there if it’s not the default? Also, why now have the common case be the default?

Also, just two knobs, fine and optional snap to semi is a little difficult to control. If you put 100 ticks on your knob… It’s difficult.

But, given the choice of two continuous knobs, vs octave/semi/fine you really think the two continuous knobs is the better choice for most people? Could be. I never received a request for something like that (other than the ratio control on kitchen sink), but that could just be the nature of VCV - ppl use something else if they don’t like a given module.

Seems kind of arbitrary - add one and only one extra parameter. But they are your modules, so you can make the rules!

btw, do the “dark” and “light” themes both have the same fairly dark grey text color? It’s a little difficult for me to read the text with the dark theme. I guess you have kept the very small font size of the fundamental module. But yours won’t be the only one that has limited ledgibility, so that’s ok.

btw, regarding “fine” - you know that all knobs do “fine” if you hold down the control key? Don’t really need a second knob…

Why they’ll RTFM of course! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You make fair points though and I guess as long as the full range of the Octave knob can be controlled with CV then that’s fine for the pitch mod stuff.

Another option would be a switch next to that knob (or contextual menu) that controls whether it snaps to octaves or not.

I like that idea.

i know, don’t need the fine parameter, i like to have it. and I can not add extraordinary features if I do not have the skills, in the meantime I have created something basic, over time, with commitment, with help, with suggestions, I will be able to transform them, perhaps, some more, some less, but it is normal that they are not cool modules right away.

the “white” is a gray, about 20%, ccccccff, the “black” is a gray, just over 90%, 111111ff

Fundamental’s text is smaller than this

1 Like

Last update: I had a few problems, both psychological, personal and technical with the computer, I lost any kind of project but basically I started this crazy undertaking only because I really wanted the dark fundamental modules, and someone up there satisfied me, so I no longer have this need. For the moment this project is abandoned, I’m only thinking about enjoying Rack and studying everything that interests me…But the day I have a better computer with which to carry out more complex jobs without too many complications, I plan to start again / bring complete this project. Thanks anyway to anyone who helped me!

1 Like

If you do go back to something like this, make sure to keep your code in github so it won’t get lost.

1 Like

The codes were those of VCV apart from a few small and easily replicable changes, so I didn’t lose much from that point of view. I lost all the graphic projects, redesigning everything from scratch now with Inkscape that crashes every 20 minutes is depressing…We’ll see in the future…the desire to create my collection of modules is alive, but there is also the fear of not being up to it and of just making a copy of already existing modules, so I’m also taking this time to study something more about development and understand if I really want do it or if it fascinates me only from a distance, like watching a good film… I have always felt infinite esteem for developers and I really envy their skills, this pushes me to want to learn what they do, but perhaps simply I don’t have enough brains.

ok. sounds sensible. btw, you can keep your graphics projects in github, too, if you want.

fwiw, I never learned how to use Inkscape. I originally used Illustrator to make my panels, then switched to Adobe XD. afaik Figma and Sketch are ok to use to make panel SVG also.