Does Scalar support Scala files that contain "descending" pitches?

I’d like to use VCV Rack to make a patch based on the just-intonation scale from La Monte Young’s The Well-Tuned Piano. The scale is odd in that G# is lower than G, and C# is lower than C. Unfortunately, NYSTHI’s Scala-compatible device won’t allow for this; it spells only in ascending order, swapping the G/C and G#/C#. Can anyone confirm that VCV Scalar behaves the same? Or differently? I’d like to know before I buy the premium module. Thanks!

Don’t know the answer, but if there’s a bug or shortcoming in NYSTHI’s module, why not open an issue at his github?

I did buy “VCV scalar” but i don’t know how to use it to be honest.

I guess i load “young-lm_piano.scl” from http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scales.zip and see what voltages(frequencies) come out when playing a “normal” chromatic scale into it ?

! young-lm_piano.scl
!
LaMonte Young's Well-Tuned Piano
!
 567/512
 9/8
 147/128
 21/16
 1323/1024
 189/128
 3/2
 49/32
 7/4
 441/256
 63/32
 2/1

Loaded the file “young-lm_piano.scl” in each SCALAR, left everything else default.

It looks to me like SCALAR does what you want it to ?

2 Likes

Thanks for running this test; it indeed looks like Scalar handles this like I was hoping it would.

I’ll head over to github and open an issue. Thanks again!

1 Like

that SCL file is strictly crescent, like all SCL files and works correctly in ScalaQuantizer too

there is no way that in SCL file you can set a G# lower than a G… a quantizer is a quantizer, if a G# is lower than a G, than the G# becomes a G and the G a G#…

Maybe, only with a mapping function if you use a keyboard, maybe