Do VST running in host introduce a large timing lag?

I assume they have to - usual latencies introduced by VST buffer sizes? Or am I missing something?

Right-click on Host’s panel to configure its block size.

2021-07-23-205051_1600x900_scrot

Some small block sizes might be unsupported by some VST plugins and might increase CPU usage, which is why we allow users to configure the size.

If you disable “Use worker thread”, the VST audio will be processed on the same thread as Rack modules. This leaves less CPU for Rack modules but cuts the latency in half, if you need extremely low VST latency.

4 Likes

cool. tx!

Note that if the plugin itself introduces additional latency because of the nature of the processing it does (for example plugins that use FFT or compressors with look-ahead), that latency will exist in addition to the VST buffer latency that is set in VCV Host.

of course, but that’s true in VCV, too. Can’t cheat the math!

FYI.

Pictured, the magenta impulse response from sending audio from PluginDoctor (Im not affiliated nor do i make any money off sales) to vcv going through HOST-FX in bypass mode - the Blue is the impulse response going through HOST-FX with a filter from kiloHearts.

I use Voicemeeter Potato for routing , put VCV on AUX - ouput to B3, Plugin doctor on VAIO 3 output to B2.

It sounds like other major daws like Ableton have “auto latency compensation” engine inside them, but VCV doesn’t. Or you just use some VST that add huge latency, lot of them are exist. I reveal that in Ableton where it shows by hovering mouse over loaded vst on a track

In a DAW, latency compensation simply means, that everything else is delayed to match the slowest VST.

1 Like

VCV runs at a 1 sample buffer size. So within limits you can patch loops and crazy things and expect them to work. Totally not true when you use host.