Difference between sum or multiply modules ?

hi,

1)what is the difference between a sum and a multiply?

2)what’ does it mean in MIDI CV:

RTRG

CLK/N

AFT

PW

MW

3)i search for a module with:

a)4 inputs for Gate to 1 output for Gate

b)1 input for Gate to 4 outputs for Gate

c)4 inputs for CV to 1 output for CV

d)1 input for CV to 4 outputs for CV

e)4 input for VEL to 1 outputs for VEL

f)1 input for VEL to 4 outputs for VEL

g)4 input for CLOCK to 1 output for CLOCK

h)1 input for CLOCK to 4 outputs for CLOCK

i)4 inputs for RUN to 1 output for RUN

j)1input for RUN to 4 outputs for RUN

k)perhaps is there exist a module combining a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i?

If yes,which?

thanks

Hi @obywanna–happy to help, but can you first change the topic title to something more descriptive so that others can be helped in turn in the future? Thanks! :slight_smile:

For an example, here’s a bit from the Rules:

• Titles of threads should be as descriptive as possible in one sentence. “Need help” is not acceptable and will be removed or changed. “What module can extend a gate signal?” is a better title.

the difference between multiply and sum, is exactly like you learned in the school (but applied to voltages) , depending of the case you will prefer use one or other.

considerate this: if you have a first voltage, and you add as sum a second voltage , the result voltage always will be an offset of the first one

multiplying voltages work a bit different for instance if one of the voltages is zero, the result always will be zero until the initial voltage change , also decimal matter , if you multiply a voltage by 0.5, you will get half of the first voltage , and so on

perhaps it could be interesting to read

there are lots of modules to allow you to know what voltage are you getting in a signal from the scope to one of my fab hovering value

all the midi cv outputs are specified here Core Modules - VCV Rack Manual

a mixer (whatever of them )

also the fundamental Unity , it allow sum and average (and the inverse)

edited : I pressed the wrong reply button it is not a answer to @gc3 , is a answer to the original post

1 Like

could you explain what you want to do?

for all the 1 to X in you list, you can connect whatever arbitrary number of cables in a output

for all t the X to 1 in your list you could mix whatever arbitrary number of cables (using mixers , sum, etc ) then, connect to the input

one more thing, there are not difference between the nature of the signals, all them are voltages, you can use a module for all purpose, you can use the unity (for instance ) to mix cv ,audio , triggers or whatever

1 Like

About Midi CV :

RTRG : Retrigger (i think)

CLK/N : Clock

AFT : Aftertouch

PW : Pitch wheel

MW : Mod wheel

I found the solution for 3):

a sum (X to 1)

a multiply (1 to X):

If i want (X to X),i use a sum with a multiply by plugging the output of sum in input of multiply

by taking care to use a sum or a multiply for each type of signal(CV,CVA,GATE,RUN,CLOCK,…)