dbRackFormulaOne preview

here is the pre release 2 for dbRackForumulaOne:

• added user defined functions (see GitHub - docb/dbRackFormulaOne)
  • added some convenient global functions
    • lseg provides line segments for a given phase and coefficients
    • eseg provides exponential curve segments for a given phase and coefficients
    • scl scales a value from one range to another
    • scl1 scales -1V/1V to a given range
    • poly computes a polynomial for a given phase and coefficients
    • chb computes a sum of chebyshev polynomials for a given phase and coefficients
    • tri computes a triangle wave for a given phase
    • spl computes a spline for a given phase and coefficients
  • compiled now for windows with extended features
  • fixed some gui issues for better editing

I really enjoy working with Formula One - Iā€™ve got a couple patches Iā€™d like to post that make good use of it, but Iā€™d like to wait until it is available in the library. Do you have any sense when you might submit to be published to the library?

I did find one bug - I canā€™t get the e knob to have any effect - the parameter value remains stuck at 0.

Honestly, I donā€˜t know, if Iā€˜ll be the ā€šcoding musicianā€˜. But, thanks! Thank you to make it possible within VCV. - I love it! - I love to be here in VCV, because of something like this.

Cheers, dDom

Thanks, i have hesitated to put it in the library as have no idea if this module works properly on windows.

May be someone can verify.

@DaveVenom the bug has been fixed in the pre2 release.

Ah - I missed the pre-release 2 - got it now.

Please do release - I am running on Windows, and all that I have tried is working great!

Is there anything in particular you want tested?

ah glad to hear, no special tests needed, i will make a release asap.

1 Like

it would be helpfull if you could verify that the prerelease 2 does run fine on windows. it is compiled with the extended features of exprtk (should be faster i.e. less cpu now on windows).

Yes. I finally got that earlier today, and my patches are running fine with it.

Hi, its now in the library.

4 Likes

Woo Hoo! Fantastic! Now I can share some of my patches :smiley:

I finally posted my Subharmonicon emulator version 5 that relies on docB Formula One to compute sub oscillator V/Oct CV based on incoming primary VCO/Oct CV and sub harmonic divisor settings.

Formula One was a joy to use, and having multiple polyphonic inputs and outputs really expanded what I could do with it. It enabled me to easily add the new detuned unison feature, as well as output the computed harmonic divisor for dynamic display. I could not do that with a single instance of the Frank Buss Formula.

1 Like

What is the best way to determine the allowed dbRackFormulaOne functions and syntax other than by the included example presets? Is this Javascript syntax?

Thanks

1 Like

it is described here

Thanks, but that is where I was already looking. I suppose my question is regarding the syntax of your scripting language. Is this Javascript syntax? And, is everything in the referenced library implemented in FormulaOne? I.E., can I call any function that is in the ExprTk library. How do I go from the templated C++ library to the Javascript-ish FormulaOne scripting language?

For example, in the ExprTk library documentation, there is an example function called primes(), Just so I am understanding this correctly, I cannot just call primes() from FormulaOne, but rather I would need to reimplement the ExprTk C++ primes() function in the FormulaOne script. Right?

Sorry if I am making this more difficult than it needs to be. I tend to do that quite often. Your module looks like it would be very useful to me, once I figure out what I am doing.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, or point me towards documentation or topics here in the community.

ok, i see the problem: in the exprtk main page there is a big focus on using it in e.g. c++ code and extend it. So the cpp examples will not help. the scripting language is described more in detail in the readme.txt e.g. SECTION 08

2 Likes

Yes, this is what I was looking for. Thank you very much.