dBiz Bene: Matrix Sequencer - VCV Rack Tutorial (Make Noise Rene Emulation)

Matrix sequencer is awesome for producing complex but melodic stuff in VCV!
dbiz Bene is a matrix sequencer with internal quantization, BenePads is 16 resets of its grid. It’s a copy of famous Make Noise Rene eurorack sequencer. So I very happy to have that in VCV Rack! Hope you too!
So I will show you basic setup of the matrix sequencer and then more tricks in this video!

6 Likes

thank you

you are welcome David!

Really sweet tune in the first half of the video. LIke really serious and concerned about something)

black and gold shared please

I tried to recreate it in VCV, but the two big issues are Wogglebug and Morphagene. Wogglebug has a very specific set of features such as a chaos generator that are very complicated and can take dozens of modules to recreate. Morphagene’s “sampler” functionality is simple enough, but the granular microsound part proves to be tricky.

I think it’s permissible to mention ‘Simpliciter’ and ‘Morphagene’ in the same breath.

I agree that nothing matches the Wogglebug - the CV section is doable but the audio section is something else entirely. Does it matter, though? How many times have you ever seen somebody patching it? The fact that you can’t change its (~) pitch, and it centres on a pitch that is too high IMO, makes it nearly unusable. As a challenge I once tried to make a patch with it, but it ended up sounding like the voices from hell in Event Horizon:

TBH, I don’t know what MN were thinking of there. It’s one of the few cases where MN failed IMO to improve on Don’s ideas. The SoU is a far better module.

maybe we can replace wobblebug with something else. As far as Morphagene, how does Panther Cap do in comparison?

I’d definitely say it can get close. As far as Wogglebug goes, you can get similar functionality with a VCV Random, Repelzen Burst, and a modular80 nosering for chaos. You probably won’t be able to recreate patches 1:1, but it’s similar enough.

have you loaded it to patch storage?

I haven’t but I can when I come home tomorrow.