Dave Venom Music - Latest: My belated first foray into Orca's Heart

Wow! Thanks Lars. I couldn’t ask for a better response.

I submitted both of these videos/patches to the recent VCV reddit community built in Challenge, where you were restricted to using only free VCV branded modules.

This first one is something I prepared more than 1 year ago, but never submitted anywhere. It stems from an experiment I ran to create a self panning note by using two slightly detuned sine waves. On the left I use both sine waves unmodified. In the right I invert one of the sine waves to make a cosine wave. The pairs on each side constantly go in and out of phase, causing alternating constructive / deconstructive interference. But because one side uses sine and the other cosine, the left and right alternate between which side is sounding at any given time, resulting in a panning effect. I then ran with the idea and created two virtual wind chimes of six notes each, a couple octaves apart. For the final submission I greatly simplified my patch by using some of the newer VCV modules that weren’t available when I first created it.

This 2nd patch is a reworking of one of my more complex patches that stemmed from my “Fundamental Constructs” project. The original used Valley Plateau and VCV Drums, both of which violated the challenge rules. So I substituted VCV Delay for the reverb, and built VCV Free module constructs for 2 toms, a rim shot, open and closed hi hat (with choke), a ride cymbal, and two crash symbals. I’m very happy with how the ride and crash cymbals turned out.

5 Likes

Really nice patch Dave!

1 Like

I see you are using a bitcoin mine to run rack! This patch is massive.

I just saw that scanner-darkly will soon be releasing a new version of Orca’s Heart plus friends.

I remember reading a number of posts speaking lovingly about Orca’s Heart when I first started my VCV Rack journey three years ago. But at that time I hardly knew anything about modular patching, and I was reluctant to try anything that I didn’t understand.

Well, after reading scanner-darkly’s post, I finally tried the original Orca’s Heart, and I really like it! I threw this simple patch together in no time, using just VCV and Venom modules, with Orca’s Heart providing all the sequencing and almost all the modulation. For those that don’t have VCV Pro, you can substitute Valley Plateau for the reverb easily enough. I didn’t spend any time trying to sync the scale change with the sequence, and decided to just post what I have anyway.

Orca’s Heart First Patch.vcv (3.2 KB)

I have so much more to explore with Orca’s Heart, yet now I am eager to try the new version!

4 Likes

lovely, thanks for posting it!