Dave Venom Music - Latest: My belated first foray into Orca's Heart

hello, i want explore and play with your Subharmonicon patch, but i’m lost how to start. could you pls give me a short info how to begin to play.

Thanks Karl

sorry i replied in a wrong position of your thread. i hope now it is correct. hello, i want explore and play with your Subharmonicon 5.1 patch, but i’m lost how to start. could you pls give me a short info how to begin to play.

Thanks Karl

Here is another Rhythm Explorer paired with LameJuis patch where I started with the Rhythmic Ambience patch from Aug 27 and added drums that were driven by the same Rhythm Explorer gates. The drums are correlated with, but do not mirror the melodic lines.

And here is the patch paired with a Native American flute improv.

3 Likes

There are many YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use the Moog Sub-Harmonicon. Much of that info can be applied to my emulator patch once you figure out how the controls in my patch map to the actual hardware. They are all labeled, plus there is documentation built into the patch.

I also recommend downloading any of the following PatchStorage patches that are based on my emulator version 5.0. They are adjacent to the 5.1 patch.

• Plains of Arrakis
  • Extended Melody with Flute
  • Cries from the Deep

There is a bug in the 5.0 version, but those examples are not affected by the bug, and you can look how I configured the patch to get the various sounds. All those settings can be applied to the version 5.1 emulator to get the same result.

Here is the second song from my September 11, 2023 Virtual Open Mic set. The patch is called Rampaging Wasps for I think obvious reasons.

The kick, snare, and pitched percussive sounds are all created by Rampage attack decay envelopes pinging the Wasp Filters in high pass mode. One Rampage attack decay envelope is used as a master clock to drive the gate sequencer, sync the delay, and trigger the pitched percussion pings. The kick and snare are triggered by the gate sequencer.

The flute distortion was added after the performance using the new AudioThing/Hainbach Lines plugin.

2 Likes

Video unavailable

Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner

Watch on YouTube

I’m guessing you forgot “allow embedding” on the video :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! - All fixed.

I was wondering why the video was not displaying properly on PatchStorage! Now I know.

1 Like

It’s a fun patch, great timbre from that pinged Wasp filter.

1 Like

:slight_smile: You can make a template in YT for uploaded videos, where you can prefill most of those annoying, pesky settings. Especially the “for kids” one can really trip you up.

I don’t get it - I fixed the embed option, and PatchStorage still displays a link instead of embedding the video. :frowning: I suppose there could be a delay before the change takes effect. Time will tell.

I already have a YouTube template setup with embedding enabled. I just had a brain fart when I went in to disable remixes, and mistakenly turned embed off.

Could be, or you could try and edit the PS post and see if it forces a refresh.

:grin: Happens to all of us…

Definitely!

The Rampage envelopes are also interesting. The surprising chatter on the tail of the envelope set to exponential shape works great for the snare. That envelope is shown in the scope. I imagine the chatter could be problematic in other contexts though.

Rampage is great!

Interesting. I don’t get those on my machine (macOS), seems like a bug.

Correction, NOW I get them, it’s only when “Range” is in the middle, otherwise no overshoots. Must be a bug.

I solved the problem. PS was caching how to handle the URL. I had to use a different URL. I did that via the YT share option, which I think appends user ID information to the URL.

1 Like

Bad design by PS…

Indeed it is a bug in Rampage v2.4.0, confirmed by Hemmer at Befaco Rampage hardware vs VCV virtual module - #14 by hemmer, with a v2.5.0 fix pre-release in the subsequent post.

Of course the Rampage bug fix breaks my snare sound in Rampaging Wasps. I’ve got a fix available for when Befaco 2.5.0 becomes available in the library. I used an extra Rampage along with some noise and a mixer to fix the snare.

1 Like

Don Cross’ recent fixed rack patch posts got me interested in experimenting with the Sapphire plugin again.

I thought this simple experiment using Frolic and Glee as both CV modulation and audio sources was interesting.

2 Likes

Another experiment with @cosinekitty’s Sapphire plugin, this time using Glee to drive all the melodic sequences, triggers, and modulations. The x, y, and z CV values are not used directly, but rather through a combination of comparators and logic units. Their are obvious distinct patterns that constantly shift, creating subtle variation - perfect for an ambient piece.

6 Likes

Love this tune Dave! Great patch, well done. This is my favorite kind of generative patch, it can just run for hours in a loop and feel satisfying and enjoyable.

3 Likes