Dark mode, is really this better?

Ever wondered why “La Gazetta dello Sport” and the “Financial Times” are black on ‘pink’? Easier to read the fine print.

I’m not aware of a white font on black newspaper.

1 Like

to some.

I would love a filter to make everything like a reader screen

Maybe theres a filter for ReShade (windows only afaik.) Edit: maybe not for text-to-speech (if that’s what you mean with reader screen)?

Here’s a silly retro effect:

I’m no expert - just installed it.

Download from here https://reshade.me/ Install, browse to rack.exe - chose “opengl” shader.
Start rack.
“Home” takes you to the reshade menu. hotkey can be remapped to something other than “home” to avoid VCV resetting the screen position (I used F12)

2 Likes

the Sepia scheme of the readers

sepia.fx is an optional addon shader package that you can chose when installing reshade. (or add later) SweetFX

1 Like

I was wrong, I would not love that :rofl:

2 Likes

80% brightness, sepia and less vibrance. Lots of settings to tweak.

1 Like

actually seems nice :ok_hand:

1 Like

I just remembered, I use windows display setting “night mode” too. It probably looks awful.

1 Like

Think of the amount of ink. Costs would go through the roof and the industry is already struggling :wink: Besides, even a tiny smudge would make things unreadable.

Computer screens don’t have these limitations though. Your laptop battery will actually last longer if you don’t have so much white on the screen!

2 Likes

That’s why you iron a paper, or your butler does :wink:

3 Likes

Just my opinion, but, passive paper printing and active electronic display “printing” result in very different experiences. I use an ancient file manager and text editor quite a bit and have it set to white text on a medium blue background. It is very easy on my eyes and calming. I’m pretty sure that if I paper printed this, it would not be pleasing.

Inks, dyes and pigments work via subtractive diffuse reflection (scattering), whereas electronic displays rely on additive emission. That is about the only thing I remember from the only art class I took, that the primary colors and mixed colors are totally different for light and pigments.

Light vs. dark is a totally subjective preference, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Exactly. I can use white hardware (reflective) in low light no problem, but white virtual modules on a screen (emissive) in low light gives me headaches. So now, any modules I have to use (ie VCV Audio) that give me the choice of white or white get parked off screen.

I still don’t understand why VCV couldn’t appear to care less about users with similar vision issues, thankfully plenty of other module devs do.

2 Likes