DanTModules New Releases Thread

I downloaded the patch and was having fun with it, but then when I loaded one of my patches, I realized your modules change the Rack View settings such as cable opacity. Is there a way to prevent that?

It is a result of the Bright Idea, which changes the VCV view settings. I like to use Bright Idea during virtual open mic performances to dim the lights etc. I have gotten used to readjusting the view settings when I load a different patch.

I suppose Dan might be able to take a snap shot of the view settings each time immediately before the module is activated. Then it could restore the saved settings whenever the module is deactivated or deleted, or when the patch is unloaded. I think I would like that feature, though I haven’t thought through whether there might be unintended consequences.

As long as you use that many Harmonys, I know I’m making some cabbage from that!

As Dave says, this is controlled by the BrightIdea module.

You have two options:

1. remove the BrightIdea module from the patch

2. change the BrightIdea settings in the context menu so that it does not override the Rack settings (and also save the settings you like as default)

Other users have previously expressed confusion with this feature, it is described in the manual, but perhaps it could do with some tweaks

Cabbage is good?

I enjoy the module very much, probably not using it as you intended?

If you are taking feedback, a reset might be nice? (the modules are out of sync, and the initialize doesn’t seem to affect the notation)

Thanks. I cannot get it to work, but that is probably my fault.

In what way?

I believe the issue here is that the Rack settings are normally values outside the realm of patches, when you load up different patches these values do not change and are not saved in patch files not the autosave.

It may be possible in the module constructor to save the values of the Rack settings, and then reset these in the module destructor, and possibly this would create the behaviour you desire. My question there would be if the module destructor is called when you load a patch… I guess I’ll try to code it and see what happens… if I can figure something useful out then I’ll try to build something for the March beta.

1 Like

No matter what I try with the BrightIdea module, when I load my next patch, Rack is still using the BrightIdea settings.

Yeah, my imagined behavior is that BrightIdea return Rack to the original settings upon the destructor of the patch. I’m not sure if that is possible.

Personally, it seems like changing the Rack settings in a patch and leaving them set will lead to confusion.

I think my BrightIdea module is not for you, but I’ll see what I can do…

The way I use the module is to set the default settings and then have it in every patch, I only ever change the settings via the module and never via the Rack menu.

If I were to open a new patch that had settings different to what I wanted or was used to, I would just add an instance of BrightIdea, or reset the module if it was already added, and then the settings would be back to how I like them.

Even if there were different settings depending on what I was working on, I could still do that using the module, I would just save presets for each “mode”.

Yeah, I think that is the case. Thanks for considering the issue.

You can set your preferred state for the view options in DanTModules.json. No matter what the module is doing while active, turning it off will reset VCV back to these defaults. If Override Rack is turned off in Bright Idea’s context menu, turning the module off will reset Bright Idea back to these defaults. Just remember to turn off Bright Idea before loading another patch. If you forget and load a patch and the view settings are not in your preferred state because of the state of Bright Idea in the previously loaded patch, just bring a new instance of Bright Idea into the patch and turn it off. View settings will jump back to these preferred setttings.

If defaultBrightIdeaActive is false, just bringing the module into the patch should cause the settings to jump back to your preferred defaults. If not, turn it on and off to get back to preferred settings.

4 Likes

@k-chaffin & @john_rose

6 Likes

Ya know . . . the CV inputs expansion module is just a little bit . . . creepy, the way it seamlessly melts into Purfenator. Make purfect sense though. All expansion modules should behave that way.

1 Like

ScreenHunter_931 Mar. 14 09.04

Wow, absolutely brilliant! The new feature has been working perfectly. It’s implementation is smart looking too! This helps me enormously. The ‘smart rearrangement’ is now, usable. Everyone should check it out. Thanks,@dan.tilley

Cheers, g~

1 Like

New March preview build beta 05 is available here

OK, finally got something that I am semi-happy with.

The new module is called Little Pig and it is a bit weird experimental feedback distortion.

I will create a new thread just for the module

4 Likes

v2.4.39 is available in the library now, it includes:

• Module browser text for Purfenator to make it easier to see and understand
  • Makes BrightIdea non-destructive to VCV Rack settings
  • New module Little Pig
7 Likes

I’m going to slow down just slightly this quarter, so the next beta will be over April & May.

Currently there is nothing on the TODO list, so might as well have a new poll to see what’s interesting to everyone.

And of course, please raise bugs on my GitHub if you find anything, and make suggestions here for any small features or tweaks you would like to see.

What should I work on for the next beta preview build during April & May?

• Girth, stereo enhancer & goniometer
  • WAVULUV (Wavulike v2)
  • A new Neon Oblique experiment (thinking about a flanger)
  • Some sort of guiro/cuica type of module
  • Expanders for certain modules?
  • Improving CPU & adding polyphony?
  • Something else (leave a comment)
0 voters
1 Like

Over here it seems like there is some minor dissatisfaction with the GOTO module, maybe I should look into creating a module that does something useful with Pan & Zoom, with CV inputs and possibly presets/memory banks…

Anyone interested in that?

2 Likes

I have often thought that a photoshop style navigator would be a useful module. That way you could stay zoomed in but still navigate around a large patch. Is this the kind of thing you were thinking?

1 Like

That is a very interesting idea, not what I was thinking of, however…

A module that has a mini-map of the current patch would be totally awesome!

I think it would be possible to create something like that, since the positions of modules are stored in the autosave and patch file.

And similar to the Biset blank module, I could make the mini-map overlay on top of the whole patch.

:zap: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :zap:

I will have a play around with this when I get time, thank you for that comment!

Actually, I think this type of feature is something that could be considered as best implemented as part of Rack itself, obviously I will still explore the idea unless/until @Vortico says something like that is being added :star_struck:

1 Like