DanTModules New Releases Thread

Do you need someone to build on Mac Dan? Either way the updates look good!

Thanks for the offer, but actually I have finally updated my iMac and have the build env working…

I have updated the release with the Mac build

1 Like

Thanks Dan! Love your work!

v2.3.0 has been pushed to the library and is available now!dantvcv2

10 Likes

Nice work Dan!

Started working on a new module to go with the Bright-Idea for my next DanTModules release

2 Likes
1 Like

Excited for Nonaquant! I think at the moment the only other module that can do this (without resorting to Scala files) is Customscaler from noobhour, but I’m liking your interface more.

Edit: also Customscaler hasn’t yet been ported to Rack v2.

v2.3.2 of DanTModules (including Bright-Idea & Nonaquant) is available now from the library & the documentation has had an mvp update (I know my docs suck, if you have any capacity or desire for better docs, please consider contributing, details in the README.md)

7 Likes

amazing work on NONAQUANT Dan! And here is my appreciation of it!

5 Likes

mine as well, lovely soothing patch

1 Like

Much appreciated “extended quantizer”, Dan, I also liked it, especially in combination with my eternal favorite Cookies by computerscare ) +Just one thought/suggestion - I would love to see ALL notes played at once instead of only selected channels :wink:

Yes, I understand the desire, I was trying to figure out how to show all channels at once, but nothing satisfactory came to mind.

If all 16 channels are in use and they just so happen to be on the same note, what would that look like?

Originally I did look at the V1 VCV implementation for the little 4x4 grid of lights, but I decided not to use it since it would mean a bunch of code that I wasn’t sure really contributed much, and found it difficult to make 16 lights per key look good… any suggestions on a design?

Well, I see the main problem with same notes simultanuosly… though, some quantizers at least show several notes played on a keyboard (e.g. Aria’s Q’ collection and even VCV Quantizer). As a vague idea, may be it’s possible to use some kind of debug monitor with note names? Sorry, but I am not a programmer :wink:

It is less of a programming problem, and really more of a UX problem.

What is an elegant way to show 16 independent channels of note information, where the range of values is 108?

Like I said, one option I considered was having 16 tiny lights on every key. The main issues with this are; it doesn’t look great, there is a lot of waste unless you are utilising all 16 channels, and potentially a less efficient module due to the extra processing for the light states. Also, the size of the lights may be unreadable at higher zoom levels, and overall it feels clumsy and less immediate.

As you suggest, an alternative might involve using the note names; a compromise might be to have an expansion module that simply lists the note name selected for each channel (something along the lines of the Impromptu FourView)

I suppose technically you could already setup something like this, simply use the split module and send a copy of any active channels to a tuner module, such as HotTuna

1st of all, I am not so sure that in practice such a module would be often used with more than, say, 6-8 incoming notes (at least I rarely try to feed quantizers with excessive data - IMHO it’s much easier to use several quantizers for several Osc’s etc.). But if you originally had an idea of “Leviathanical” monster, capable of handling huge amount of notes at once, then my humble suggestion/wish should be definitely inappropriate :wink: Though, in the light of, to put it mildly, rather big size of you module (and obvious free space left there), may be some kind of notes info display (with e.g. “incorporated (mini) 4View-like debugger”) could be implemented anyway. And, sure, an expansion module also looks like a possible decision. Finally, I do know of course various ways to get such a visual info with additional modules :sunglasses: And the last notice: your module is a bit similar to noobhour’s Customscaler (I used it rather often in the past and as I see it comes back soon in V2). But it’s much bigger and poly-molly capable :laughing:

A single “keyboard” with lights, for one channel, that changes state to match a per channel switch?

Hallo Dan,

Have you ever considered alternative color schemes for you modules? This blue’s killing me.

1 Like

Maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion, but is this not what the module already has?

The keyboard has a light per key, that is lit green for active notes, and the light changes to red for the quantized note on the channel selected by the all seeing eye knob

1 Like

Yes I think possibly this could be something to look into.

In the free space either side of the global transpose inputs I could have little displays that show the quantized note name for a few channels, and maybe the context menu could have an option to set which channels are displayed