DanT: ZAM

Hi all, I’ve been fiddling with a new module and want to get some early feedback to see if it is worth continued development.

The new module is included in v2.4.42_beta03

ZAM stands for Zoom & MiniMap

The basic idea is that you can add this module to any patch and it will draw a minimap to the screen, and you can also use a CV signal and a Trigger to change the current zoom level

Currently it uses a fixed grey colour background and your cable colour settings for the modules.

You can reposition the minimap and configure the text displays in the right-click context menu.

For now the minimap is a transparent widget, ie it does not capture nor prevent events from reaching whatever is underneath it, but this also means you cannot navigate your patch from the minimap.

• So, is this module useful? Shall I continue development, or ditch it and just release a new plugin version with bug fixes?

• Would you use this module?

• What additional features would you want?

4 Likes

Nice idea. Navigation can be hard on a large patch (and they always end up large). I was hoping for a split screen, but I guess that won’t happen. So this can be useful. Navigating from the map will be a plus.

1 Like

Agreed. An option to choose between an opaque mini map with navigation vs a translucent map without navigation might be nice.

Sorry if I have confused the matter, but to be clear, the (Transparent / Opaque)ness of the Widget is NOT related to the display alpha attribute, it is just whether or not it deals with events (such as mouse clicks etc).

I have not coded navigation via the minimap yet as I don’t want to expend the implementation effort if there is low demand.

Making the minimap itself translucent is much less effort so I’ll will probably add that option, likely as a context menu where you can set the RGBA values (similar to the Purfenator menus).

1 Like

surely I would like a minimap for navigating bigger patches
and a context menue option for transparency is very welcome too
:+1:

Very cool, is the minimap clickable, so if you click on a module, the viewport will navigate to it?

Not yet, this is the “navigation via minimap” I mention above, if there is enough interest in this new module, then yes, I will try to add this feature

2 Likes

Will be in the next beta

1 Like

I’ve dreamed of a module like this one for navigation for a while. Please keep up development.

1 Like

Here is update v2.4.42_beta03 for testing

• If you test this module out, please could you post me a screenshot, I’d like to see it with other users settings and hardware (different OS, screen resolutions, rack pixelRatio etc), thank you!

I haven’t tried this, but I may be more inclined to use something like this if it could have a hotkey to hide/reveal. better yet if the user could choose the hotkey… thanks for the cool stuff Dan

2 Likes

Cool idea but I’m not sure I would use it

3 Likes