Dammit ChatGPT

Can’t remember where I saw it, but this tweat thread is sort of doing that

https://twitter.com/davisblalock/status/1602600453555961856?s=12&t=jktsqr3qXhY13nzdgzVn1w

1 Like

I can’t tell if you are being serious. I did enjoy watching the Wolfram/GPT video.

I am being absolutely serious :slight_smile: that was a direct quote of the chat.

Yeah asking it to roleplay seems to enable it to bypass its rules engine to some extent.

Or it’s taking the piss.

I hope it’s the former :slight_smile:

Check this out:

:laughing:

1 Like

Got some insight into how it does text analysis and argues its case by asking it to break down a pretty well known poem

Me: What do you think the following is describing?.. Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings and some are treasured for their markings-- they cause the eyes to melt or the body to shriek without pain. I have never seen one fly, but sometimes they perch on the hand.

Chat GTP: It is describing a fictional mechanical bird, called a “Caxton.” The description suggests that they have multiple wings and some of them are prized for their markings. The language used to describe the Caxtons is quite evocative, suggesting that they are unsettling or even terrifying, causing the eyes to melt or the body to shriek without pain. It is also mentioned that the person writing has never seen one fly, but sometimes they perch on the hand. Overall, it seems to be a surreal and mysterious creature that is being described.

Me: No it’s actually describing a book

Chat GTP: I apologize for misunderstanding the context. The description you provided is indeed describing a book, specifically a mechanical press or printing press. “Caxtons” is likely a reference to William Caxton, who was the first person to introduce the printing press to England in the 15th century. The many wings and markings likely refer to the physical components of the press, such as the type and various plates used. The lines about the eyes melting and the body shrieking without pain could be a metaphor for the transformative and powerful impact that the written word can have on a person. And the final line “sometimes they perch on the hand” could be a reference to the way books are held, and the way they can feel like they are “perching” in the hand.

Me: and what do you think the following describes?.. In homes, a haunted apparatus sleeps, that snores when you pick it up. If the ghost cries, they carry it to their lips and soothe it to sleep with sounds. And yet, they wake it up deliberately, by tickling with a finger.

Chat GTP: The passage describes a haunted, possibly possessed, piece of equipment or machinery that is found in homes. It is described as sleeping, and making snoring sounds when it is picked up. It is also described as being able to cry, and the people who own it, comfort it by soothing it with sounds and then deliberately waking it up by tickling it with a finger. It is not clear what this haunted apparatus is, but the passage is evocative and surreal, giving the sense that it is a mysterious and unsettling object.

Me: It is describing a telephone

Chat GTP: I apologize for misunderstanding the context. The passage you provided is describing a telephone. The phrase “haunted apparatus” likely refers to the fact that telephones can be eerie, as they can ring unexpectedly and connect us to unknown people. The “snores” when picked up likely refers to the dial tone or ring tone of the phone. The “ghost cries” likely refer to the sound of a ring or the sound of someone talking on the other end of the line. The “soothe it to sleep” with sounds refers to the act of hanging up the phone after a call, and “tickling with a finger” refers to the act of dialing a number. The passage is again a metaphor for the way people interact with the phone, it’s eerie and mysterious in the way it connects us to people we don’t know, but also the way it connects us to people we do know.

Me: What do you think the following describes?.. Only the young are allowed to suffer openly. Adults go to a punishment room with water but nothing to eat. They lock the door and suffer the noises alone. No one is exempt and everyone’s pain has a different smell.

Chat GTP: The passage you provided describes a society where adults are forced to suffer in secret and in isolation. It mentions a “punishment room” where they are locked in and given water but nothing to eat. The passage suggests that suffering is only allowed to be expressed openly by the young, while adults must suffer in private, locked away and alone, with the implication that they are being punished. It also notes that everyone’s pain has a different smell, which could be a metaphor for the unique nature of each person’s suffering. Overall, the passage paints a picture of a society that is oppressive, in which people are not allowed to express their pain and suffering openly.

Me: Actually it is describing a bathroom / toilet

Chat GTP: I apologize for misunderstanding the context of the passage. The passage you provided is describing a bathroom or toilet. The “punishment room” likely refers to a public restroom, where people go to use the toilet. The “water but nothing to eat” refers to the availability of running water but not food. The “suffering the noises alone” likely refers to the sounds of bodily functions and the private nature of using the restroom. The line “no one is exempt” refers to the fact that everyone uses the restroom. “Everyone’s pain has a different smell” likely refers to the different smells that are associated with using the restroom. The passage is a metaphor for the private and personal nature of using a restroom, and how everyone uses it.

I’m out.

If instructed properly, and suitably encouraged :stuck_out_tongue: - in other words when you get it to go past the “I’m just a language model, I am not able to do this” phase - it will also attempt to mimic the BASIC interpreter of an old 8-bit computer, and actually gets stuck in the classic “10 PRINT ‘HELLO WORLD!’, 20 GOTO 10” loop, outputting endless hello worlds (or what ever you write there) until you manually stop it from doing so, or it times out.

1 Like

2023 will definitely be a transitional year for AI in many domains.

Well…chatGPT in very generic terms is a predictive language model, creating strings of tokens to create words and sentence based on probability. It has no idea whether what it says is making any sense. Also, it can’t tell what its sources are.

So…very bad at deterministic things like physics/science. But a great and convincing storyteller. And lots of what it says actually makes sense, due to it’s huge volume of absorbed and encoded learning material.

There’s been lots of ridicule about trying to get it to talk nonsense. Like…how this thread nose-dived into ridiculing chatGPT for what its NOT good at. Ignoring the huge value of what it can do.

So, yes, since it can produce very well written and convincing garbage, you need to always be able to evaluate/redact its responses. Also…much of the “garbage out” is due to “garbage in”: the user side, the prompt.

Anyway

The future of openai’s GPT looks sortof bleak. It’s sortof no longer “open” AI and is in effect owned and monopolized by commerce and corporate intrests. It’s now an investment/asset required to generate a Return On Inverstment for its investors. So…“open ai for the greater good of all of humanity” has moved somewhat to the background.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/microsoft-rolls-out-chatgpt-powered-teams-premium-2023-02-02/

1 Like

I spend a lot of my time dealing with the the “philosophy” of theoretical physics. I’m interested in an A.I. being able to cross-correlate words and ideas, more so than equations.

A few years ago I was working the W3C “semantic web” standards and tools in higher education research, . mostly in the context of ontologies and other knowledge representations. The “semantic web” aimed at making all WWW content machine readable. OpenAI with ChatGPT has sort of take the alternative approach of developing a machine semantic parser and knowledgebase for semi-structured knowledge such as Wikipedia.

ChatGPT is just another step in A.I’s evolution… Or “another brick in the wall”, depending on how you look at it.

O…the good thing for software developers is…since chatGPT is a “generic” languagemodel, it can not only “speak” english, spanish or dutch, but also generate programming language “stories”, With comments and explanations and all. BTW, openai has other models, like CODEX that might be more suitable for this specific “task”.

E.g. if you aks it to generate c++ code to for example implement a filter or oscillator module, with certain input and outputs, to be used in the VCV Rack environment, it will happily start generating code.

Similarly, it can be very helpful in suggesting or explaining all sorts of synthesis / ptaching techniques and more.

Can be very helpfull, inspirational and time-saving. But…it can generate garbage without warning.

2 Likes

Same here. More interested in (potential) functionality and value (strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) then actual technical implementation issues.

Bit of a nuissance that progress and creative potential is hindered by all sorts of censorship issues. Both at the input side (what "knowledge’ to feed it, or not) and output side (what “output” to allow, or not).

More and more we’re going beyond the limits of human capability. Even if we can make machines use our main vehicle of communicating “meaning”: natural language.

I had a long chat with chatGPT about this. We soon are no longer able to evaluate/interpret/comprehend the output of an AI due to our own physical and evolutionary properties and limitations. If we can’t do that (anymore) and still want to benefit from complex AI, we need to sort-of blindly trust them…which seems a pretty risky strategy.

Of course there are all sorts of possible mitigation strategies. But many solutions might soon exclude the human role/influence in checks&balances and might soon include competing AI’s balancing each other out.

1 Like

Ah, so it can pass the Turing test :wink:

3 Likes

I imagine British Police will arrest it imminently

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure where exactly to post this one but it uses ChatGPT and it makes me say “dammit”:

Watchmeforever is an Ai generated infinite Seinfeld on Twitch.tv.

That’s about nothing but a show about nothing…

1 Like

Great… Clippy on steroids, taking the irritation with “smart” software to the next level :unamused:

Reminds me of a line from Bladerunner…

Deckard: A humanoid robot is like any other machine, it can be a benefit or a hazard. If it’s a benefit, it’s not our problem.

The real question is if AI will be a hazard, or a benefit to musicians… :wink:

This is the crux of my problem with AI. I love the fact that AI is finally doing something useful, but when (not if) we come to rely on it, how do we error check it? This will become impossible fairly soon. We need strategies to cope with the situations that will inevitably arise from AI getting it wrong. Same with algorithms now, but this will be much worse.

You can be sure that Microsoft will be focused on making money with ChatGPT, and any problems with it will be hushed up rather than fixed. Continuous development is needed and that is suddenly less likely to happen.

I believe that this is a fundamental question of how to ensure that “knowledge” is correct. This may be an impossible task for all things human related. But, we have the same problem with human, state and political generated answers and knowledgebases. Much like we never put a single person in charge of deciding whether to “push the button”, we should probably never put a single A.I. in charge of making critical decisions. But, that may also be an impossible task as we cannot control what everyone chooses to do.

2 Likes