Cytomic CF100 Discrete OTA JH VCF

Yes, I could design some of my own Eurorack kit, or possibly even chips, but I’m fine with modelling for now. There are lots of amazing designs that haven’t been modelled yet, and I can still lean a lot from them. Like the JH filter, I’ll try and add my own little touches, like the NPN2 output, and VC Drive, and differen PNP forward beta values for fine tuning, but there wasn’t anything else really needed on that one. The A-124 was begging for a self osc mod.

LA 67 MACCA is in stock here (this is where I ordered mine from): LA 67 | Analogue Haven

I’ll just loan an E440 to check out.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll wait for a kit though. Speaking of which, if you fancy testing your ability to discern the character of the resonance from the components/schematic then this filter is tremendous fun: Neutral Labs – Scrat – Full DIY Kit – Thonk – DIY Synthesizer Kits & Components

Yeah, that looks great. I’m not sure why they called it a Steiner Parker filter, since it’s not. It’s a Sallen Key filter very similar to an MS20 mk1. I’m not sure it will track 1v/oct very well since they are using opto isolator BJT for the cutoff control, I’ll probably just ditch that and make it have more accurate freq tracking. It’s also a shame they didn’t add a band pass input, which would just need the switch wired to the bottom of C5 shown here:

Looks like fun and something I could definitely do a model of pretty quickly, thanks for showing me this!

2 Likes

I have two smallstone pedals that I absolutely loved to play with, but they are my worst pedals for picking up radio signals and injecting them into my guitar signal. I’d love to have a good digital version of that someday.

Thanks for all this cool work, really looking forward to any future modules you make!

Here is the Korg 35 internals used in the MS20 mk1, two transistors used as variable gain elements, then this goes into a buffering opamp with diode clipping, and is fed back into the base of the first stage capacitor for resonance:

3 Likes

Sorry this stuff is a bit off topic for the CF100, shall we move discussion elsewhere for product suggestions? Also I’m not everyone’s personal analog modeller, I may choose to do something or may not, so please don’t get offended if I never do something suggested. I still do appreciate things being pointed out to me that I haven’t seen before just out of general curiosity.

edit: there is this thread here which seems to already be “stuff I’d like in vcv rack”, so perhaps just post there with suggestions?

5 Likes

Wowww, so clean you could wash your clothes in it!

1 Like

cooool, looking forward to watching. Also, giving a talk at 4am sounds like an especially cruel form of torture, there should be a circle for this in Dante’s hell!

Yeah, definitely not, I’m a bit embarrassed I tossed in my own ‘suggestion’, haha, very selfish.

This thread was great though, I just caught up on the whole thing all at once. sorry for the barrage of responses! But wonderful to read through everyone’s posts.

No probs with talking about stuff, but I realised we were getting a bit off topic, so for those wanting to read about the CF100 it probably wasn’t as much fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Used to just be a 303, now everybody needs a personal analog modeller.

6 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Hi Andy!

Thanks for the amazing filter! It is the grand star in my patch emulating the Wing Pinger of Meng Qi. Only two filters being (cross)pinged as a sound source.

here is a quick testdrive and video: a little lullaby

Hope you like it!

4 Likes

Nice! I’m working on a video too, but there seems to be quite a lot of noise when I’m pinging it. Presumably that’s part of the modelling. Anyone else noticed this?

With the updated version this was gone for me. Do you have the updated version? A full 10V trigger is also a lot louder, so you can attenuate it also; either by turning drive to around 3 or using 5V or less triggers.

Can you please post an example of the noise and explain what you’re doing to generate it? Also are you talking about the CF100 or the E440?

Thanks @andy-cytomic

It’s the CF100, I was pinging it with a short burst of noise through a VCA although I just realised it’s possible to patch the trigger in directly and that helps as it’s a much higher level. Also, I’ve got two of the filters in series, disabling the second one brings it down to a point where it’s barely perceptible (the first filter pings, the second one is doing standard LPF sweeps). I’m using 96kHz project rate.

Here’s a short recording: https://on.soundcloud.com/PqSch

Also, here’s the patch: Cytomic Filter Pings 2.vcv (7.2 KB)

Cheers,

Ed

Another fun trick: FM pinging … even in hardware it’s not something that works on all filters!

1. Ping the filter by feeding a trigger at the input, with res on the edge of self oscillation; it will sound woody / water drop
  2. use a sine VCO to modulate the filter, play with the two freq knobs, it will turn into metal /bell sounds, with a smooth decay, no eneveloppe needed

9 Likes

Thanks for the patch but there are a bunch of modules I don’t have, and it’s very unclear as to what the source of the noise is since there are many effect modules as well, each of which could be adding noise. Also please note that noise sources modulating the filter frequency will “bleed” through to the audio output - this is what happens in real analog circuits as well, so if that’s not there then the “analog model” isn’t accurate.

Can you please create a mono patch (not polyphonic) with just the stock VCV LFOs for modulation, the Clocked module is fine for gate, and the CF100 x 2 for the ping sound? Please do not use any noise source at all, no randomness, just fixed repeating patters as we are trying isolate noise here, so adding noise is counter productive.

I’ve attached a starting point, I do have the clocked module, and kept the rest of the settings from your project as much as I could see from the partial load, but stripped it back to mono and no effects:

cytomic-filter-pinging-mono.vcv (1.8 KB)

here is a more definitive demo of the patch: a slow paced pinging garden :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the fantastic sounds of the CF100 Enjoy!

1 Like