CV to MIDI CC

Hi all, this is my first post here. I’m enjoying VCV and thrilled about its path - I would like to build the following, and I am struggling to find the right ingredients:

I have the Teenage Engineering OP-1 and it has the option for a “MIDI LFO”, which means it can receive 4 different MIDI CC parameters (CCs 1, 2, 3, 4) and map them against OP-1 internal parameters (fx, envelope, synth parameters, etc). It has lots of potential and I would like to sequence MIDI CC values outside the OP-1, passing them to the OP-1 MIDI LFO. So basically I would need the existing MIDI-CC core module in reverse. In absence of this, is anybody aware how to output MIDI CC values from Rack, and control these values via CV?

Thanks for any ideas!

VCV CV-CC module.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint! I will check it out! (module has no description so far, but looks pretty straightforward)

Totally worked as planned!

4 Likes

I have a prophet rev2 and have had some success getting VCV to communicate CCs to it. But the CV-CC module only supports 15 “slots” and the CC implementation on the rev2 has 75+ CCs; of course the one’s I want to use are all > 15. How to address CC values > 15 in CV-CC module? I tried clicking on a slot and turning the relevant knob on the rev2, to no avail. Any ideas? TIA!

• mouse click any of the 16 small boxes with numbers, it changes to “–”
  • enter a number for the CC you want the matching CV below the boxes to send to (0-127)
  • Press “Return” or click another box to set it.

And a couple of midi tips I wish I knew when I started.

On windows, you can use something like “Loopmidi” to send midi through virtual cables between programs.

You may also want to subscribe to the free Stoermelder plugins for the useful MIDI modules (and more).

2 Likes

@Jens.Peter.Nielsen U ROCK! thanks! works perfectly. And yes, Stoermelder makes amazing modules, already subscribed!

1 Like

Learning MIDI with VCV Rack, and I’m just discovering your post and this module. That’s exactly what we need to understand correcrly MIDI protocols and message types… Many thanks!

Alain

Oups. Doesn’t work for me. Not yet :slightly_smiling_face: In rtpMIDI, I don’t have any “Remote Peer” (Directory).

Any idea ? Thanks. Alain

I use “loopmidi” - not rtpmidi.

rtpMIDI is only used to make midi connections over the (ethernet/wifi) network.

Oups. Of course :smirk:. Thank you. Works now! Something confused me during the installation. He says that a part of the program is in the rtpMIDI stuf, and we have to install it before. Then, install LoopMidi. And between the two, I got lost (didn’t find the download for LoopMidi. So I supposed it was the same package. Or may be I didn’t understand correctly!

Anyway, many thanks! Alain

I’m curious about something… How do we convert CV (from a VCO for instance or a conversion from Hex to CV…) to a value for a MIDI CC message ? I suppose there rules somewhere, but can’t find them… On one hand, we have values from 0 to 10V, on the other hand, 0 to 127. Thanks. Alain

round(cv * 127 / 10) to get a midi 0-127 value from unipolar 0-10 cv.

As for hex, it’s base 16 notation for a number. Midi specs use it because in the midi message format. the channel and message type are packed into one byte. Hex is easier to read the two parts of that part of a midi message.

Hex also has a heritage in trackers.

Many calculators have a “Programmer” mode that will convert hex/decimal/binary. These are base 16/10/2 numbers, respectively.

I’m not sure about your hex question, though. Are you looking at a specific module, or some device’s midi documentation?

1 Like

Thank you fot this precise explaination!

I’m an IT guy, so I understand the basics in this area (I started with the ZX81 and its machine language for its Z80 :woozy_face: Long time ago!)

What I’m looking for is to program something in VCV Rack to interface nicely my new Launch Control XL (LCXL) with for instance MindMeld MixMaster for example.

But I can apply the Novation Developper’s Reference manual in pratice. Missed information, and certainly my bad knowledge of MIDI protocols and different way to interface VCV and MIDI (typically VCV modules and other trade). So I’m diging the subject!

I guess lot of guys could be interestied in such patch ;o) Alain

Since you’re wanting to deal with MIDI it can be helpful to read the MIDI specification.

… and Rack’s RTMIDI wrapper, and existing MIDI module source, if you’re building a module.

Thank you for these suggestions! I’m not writing a module, juste patches to interface control, keyboard, MindMeld modules, and better understanding! Alain