CV-CC Embedding?

PREVIEW ONLY

To send cc to tr09, using the cv-cc that works great but I have each time look at my midi implementation chart I made.

So I came with an idea to create a CV-“tr09” CC but with dedicated CC’s.

questions-

1. Can I legally do this? …

Is this a VCV module with the artwork from a Roland device? If so, you can’t really do that without permission. Find the written “rules” for VCV. If it’s not a VCV module, what is it?

1 Like

That’s a simple preview I made to demonstrate what I want, :sweat_smile:

https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/blob/v1/src/core/CV_CC.cpp

You can definitely use VCV’s code as a base for your own stuff, just mind that it’s licensed under the GPL3, so you have to license it similarly.

What’s not ok is reproducing the trade dress of existing products without authorization, if you do that you won’t be accepted in the library. But with an original design and name it should be fine.

3 Likes

Your last design looks fine. The first one obviously infringes on Roland property so you can’t use those graphics.

In Rack v2, include/app/MidiWidget.hpp will include a function

void appendMidiMenu(ui::Menu* menu, midi::Port* port);

which allows you to append a MIDI device menu to your module’s context menu. You’d use it like

struct MyModuleWidget : ModuleWidget {
	void appendContextMenu(Menu* menu) override {
		MyModule* module = dynamic_cast<MyModule*>(this->module);
		appendMidiMenu(menu, &module->midiPort);
	}
}

This way, you don’t need the on-panel LED display for configuring the MIDI device.

In Rack v1, I suppose you could just use the LED display MidiWidget on your panel.

1 Like

Happy 909 day

actually that’s a coincidence , anyway,

thanks to @Curlymorphic for his Huge help and @Vortico for CV-CC module, I don’t think it would have worked out without them.

what do you think about the graphics?

1 Like

The font is imho a bit too small; you may be able to make it slightly larger by optimizing the current empty spaces in the module. On the other hand, some very popular modules exist whose labels are even less readable.

Not sure you have to, but I’d suggest not to mention “TR09” at all, as it currently happens in the lowest part of the module. Given the specific CC mappings I understand this would be a dedicated device, so a generic “Drum Machine” reference wouldn’t make much sense…maybe you could go with some creative variation like “TR-igger September”, “Rhythm Facilitator”, etc

2 Likes

you’re right, I’ll probably just change the name to cv-09\ plugin name.

in rack v2 the midi driver will be chosen from the context menu, so i’ll be optimize the size of the text. thanks for pointing it out.

but most importantly I want to make sure I’m not violating https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginLicensing#vcv-plugin-ethics-guidelines i don’t think I’m, due to the fact that the VCO 3340 is in the library. the font is BEBAS NEUE

1 Like

This screenshot is fine under the VCV Plugin Ethics Guidelines, with the name CV-09.

2 Likes