Could you share your waveguide synthesis patches?

The inspiring sound of the iconic Yamaha VL1 uses waveguide synthesis technology

Could you share your patches using this synthesis method? It would very helpful in learning this type of synthesis

This seems relevant:

I don’t know of any physical modelling modules in VCV - but my knowledge of the topic is very limited. (unless you consider modelling of electronic cirquits “physical modelling” - I dont’ have a degree in computer music).

wikipedia

My limited experience with “physical modeling” is the Korg Wavedrum, and the VST plugin Chromaphone from AAS

Perhaps also Index - Mutable Instruments Documentation - called “Audible Instruments, Modal synthesizer” in VCV can count as a waveguide synth - not sure.

2 Likes

sckitam waveguide delay is probably what you want if you want to build from scratch. when you introduce stuff into its feedback loop you have to tune it with the DAdj parameter, which is a bit finicky. not sure if that module has already been ported to v2.

WGly - Polyphonic waveguide synth

My patch with this synthesis method (not sure), which sometimes lives its life

WGly.vcv (3.0 KB)

2 Likes

when Frequency Domain Modules return to the library (waiting on the VCV folks now), you can play with the Dance this Mesh around module (which is a waveguide synth module). It pairs well with the Heat of the Moment impulse generator

8 Likes

Looking forward to these modules and probably checking the library every day since you announced version 2.0 :smiley:

1 Like

oh yes!!

that was an expensive synth,. I found one near me a couple years back,. however guy was still asking $2-3k range if I recall.

I did some work implementing my version in SunVox a while back,. after having read the VL1 manual, and what info I could find. I had a bit of success, using self limiting feedback loops, in creating expressive and unique sounds, but not as close to sax or cello as the VL1 has in presets.

I will give it a go in Rack and get back to you,. an interesting challenge to be sure.

2 Likes

Interesting method, curious to see and learn more about it

I made a slide flute patch with overblow. Sadly, I can’t upload it here, as I’m a new user. But here’s a link: File-Upload.net - WaveguideFlutebyHenryDalcke.vcv

Hello Wirenes, your patch seems to be an attempt to design a modal synthesizer with six modes, but without any feedback loops in the waveguide delays and without any nonlinear behaviour induced. I couldn’t load the patch as I don’t have all necessary modules, but just from looking at your screenshot, I think that you won’t get anything more interesting than an a bit more sophisticated Karplus-Strong algorithm out of it. That’s not what waveguide synthesis is about, I fear, because the feedback in a wavegide flips the phase of the incoming audio signal everytime it is fed back in order to generate modal interferences which are necessary in bowed string and wind instruments. If you want to patch a wind instrument like a flute, for instance, you need a mouth-piece (a noise generator going into a feedback delay between a waveshaper (sigmoid function/nonlinearity), a cut-off-filter and a phase flipper) connected to a bore (a feedback delay between a cut-off-filter and a phase flipper) and an overall feedback between the output of the bore’s cut-off-filter and the input of the mouthpiece. Waveguide synthesis is all about phase-flipped feedbacks, nonlinearities and filters. Check out my slide flute patch and fiddle around with the sustain of the envelope controlling the levels fed into the waveshaper, the drive of the waveshaper itself, the filter cut-offs of the damping filters and the waveguide delay times: File-Upload.net - WaveguideFlutebyHenryDalcke.vcv You’ll notice the quite organic behavior of that little physical model. Best Henry

Hi Henner the link is not safe, Can you upload the file to another site please?