"Could not open GLFW window. Does your graphic card support OpenGL 2.0 or higher..."

Yes and yes. It was working fine on Windows 7…

You did not tell us any info about your hardware.

Nevertheless: Many times the default gpu drivers installed by Windows 10 are missing many features. OpenGL support is usually absent, especially in older hardware. And if you are really unlucky the hardware maker could have totally deprecated your gpu from its list of supported Windows 10 graphics hardware.

First of all go to the manufacturer’s page and download official drivers for your gpu. And also tell us a bit about your hardware.

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you for the information. Here are my hardware stats

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
         System Model: System Product Name
                 BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/12 10:17:49 Ver: 37.01 (type: BIOS)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
               Memory: 8192MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 7898MB RAM
            Page File: 3291MB used, 6525MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Not Available

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported DirectX Database Version: Unknown DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
       Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
        DAC type: Internal
     Device Type: Full Device (POST)
      Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0102&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_09
   Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 

Device Problem Code: No Problem Driver Problem Code: Unknown Display Memory: 1760 MB Dedicated Memory: 256 MB Shared Memory: 1504 MB

2nd Gen i7 - Sandy Bridge - Intel HD Graphics 2000

No suitable driver available for W10 that allows VCV to run.

This one thing kept me from updating my my Win7 laptop to Win10.

1 Like

Sucks man. Ok thank you for the info! I guess I will do what you did and use a different computer for this.

Thank you

It seems that by forcing the Windows 8 x64 driver install various people have made this work. Have a look here: Intel hd 2000 driver for Windows 10 (Solved) | AnandTech Forums: Technology, Hardware, Software, and Deals and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFpPD86PfNk

I would suggest right clicking and selecting Windows 8 compatibility when running the exe file.

And of course please do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for thermonuclear warfare :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I have the same problem with a HP probook 6560b ;I7 2670qm;intel HD graphics 3000. I try to run the exe file with selecting window8 (and 7) compatibility but it doesn’t work.

What should i do? I have just buy this PC to install VCV Rack

Try to update drivers

I ever tried. I also use Driver Easy to check. There is no update for Intel hd 3000 for windows 10.

"Graphics: Dedicated graphics card from ~2013 or later with the latest driver software update:

I’m not sure an integrated graphics card from 2011 is the best option for Rack

Says here this card is discontinued, and has gone into Self service support since 2016. It’s probably the reason Rack didn’t work…

After some research on google :

it appears there might be ways to get a higher version of OpenGL than what the last 3000 drivers allowed, but it’s way more advanced than my windows IT knowledge…

If you are still willing to try, try typing "Intel hd 3000 OpenGL " , there seems to be a few forum threads about this, looks like others had similar issues as you

1 Like

Love VCV Rack and the ability to build and play with the sounds/modules. I was having this opengl error on my dell e6320 that also has the intel hd3000 issue.

I’ve upped the SSD and the RAM on the machine and hoped it would work… numerous tried as above and failed. However after multiple attepmts to get it to work I went back today and found a solution for my case.

Given the great open work here I thought I’d post to see if others could use the solution also: https://gist.github.com/rb-dahlb/26f316c5b6089807a139fc44ee69f0d1

Also, I noted the WASAPI had least distorsion in the sound when I played the default VCO out through the speakers on the default patch.

4 Likes

Hi, Just want to say a big thank you for your post.

I just couldn’t get VCV Rack to open at all in my very elderly,but Win 10, PC.

Then I came across this thread,and the link in your post,which solved my problem,after some nail biting.I got right to the end of the guide/article,but the Fix I had created didn’t have the optionto install,so itseemed that it had been pointless.

However,one way,or another,after just leaving it sitting [still open] for a while,and having a rest - I was already exhausted by the time I strarted - I,somehow,got it to work. Not by doing just what was indicated,but something else,too,which I can’t remember.I was pretty brain dead by then.

Anyway,however it worked,it did,finally work.So,thanks again for your post.

1 Like

This work for me:

Is described in easy language. No need to have big IT knowledge

Work for me too!

These are great tips, and should allow people in this bad situation to try out Rack. But of course the system will still be pretty graphics limited, so it wouldn’t be surprising to experience click and pops with anything but a very small patch. So go for it, but if you find you like VCV, try to obtain better graphics. If you have a computer that has slots in it, a several-year-old gaming GPU will be a huge upgrade, and would not cost much (esp if you can find someone giving one away).

1 Like

Thank you! I have an old PC with an integrated Intel Graphics 2000 display. I followed the steps for using the Windows ADK (I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64bit), created the database as described and can now open Rack whereas previously I was getting the OpenGL error…

as an absolute last resort you might give software opengl rendering via mesa for windows a try: Mesa3D For Windows - Federico Dossena … if you have a very fast machine it might even be useable, otherwise you’ll either have extremely slow working graphics and not really useable sound and useable sound maybe whenever you iconify vcvrack :slight_smile: … i tested it once on a old intel laptop and it was at least ok to check some things

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

The link solved my problem. Thanks so much!!