Continue Trigger and Cubase Sync

This is something that’s been discussed elswhere, but it’s still driving me mad! I don’t know if it’s an issue with Cubase or VCV or with my set up.

Using the Midi-CV module, I can sync up a clock in the VCV Rack plugin in Cubase 12 using the clock output. If I start Cubase from the beginning of a project, the BPM matches and everything is nice and synced. No problems there at all. Unfortunately, no matter what I do - if I start playback from anywhere other than the beginning of the project, the pulses in VCV will be out of step with Cubase.

I can see on the Scope that the pulse fom the Start output on the MIDI-CV module is solidly lined up with a 1/4 note pulse generated from the MIDI-CV module’s Gate output. The pulse generated from the Continue output, however, will be offset - depending on where the playhead is when I hit play.

As you can see in the image - the top traces are a quarter note pulse from a Cubase midi part and the bottom traces are from the Start output (on the left) and the Continue output (on the right).

I can’t find anything in the Cubase sync set up or on VCV that would make the Continue pulse line up properly with the timecode.

Hi, this is perfectly normal. IE: just the way it is.

There is a big difference between the 2 environments, one is linear and operates linear, the other has no such concept in it.

The closest you will get to “get it to work”, is instead of starting from “anywhere”, try starting from a locator point that is exactly on measure.

But then still there will be several of variables that can disturb the process, and make it out of sync.

Hope that helps.

Some related info from another thread

Thanks for that. I thought I’d read everything here (and in the Steinberg forums), but I’d missed that thread, so I’ll have a look. :slight_smile:

I appreciate that - but all I want is for the Cubase timecode to tell a clock in VCV where the first beat of the bar is. I’ve got a few workarounds, depending on what I’m doing, so I can make it work - but it’d be nice if it worked without having to add an extra process.

In case anyone’s interested, this is my best method for achieving reliable clock sync throughout a Cubase project.

I have the CLK/N divider in the MIDI-CV module set to whole notes. The CLK/N output goes to the Trigger In on the ML Modules Trigger Buffer module. The Trigger Out on that module goes to the clock’s Reset input. The MIDI-CV module’s CONT output goes to the Arm input on the Trigger Buffer module.

This way - when you press play in Cubase from anywhere in the project that isn’t the start point, the Trigger Buffer will arm and then wait for a pulse from the CLK/N output - which will be on the first beat of a bar. The clock will then reset itself and be perfectly synced to Cubase.

I do not combine DAW and VCV in this way, so I haven’t really had to solve for this problem.

I guess, generalizing, this is about sharing a common time reference between VCV and DAW (e.g. via MIDI).

So, maybe this is just about syncing time via MIDI Time Code (SMPTE)?

A thread on this…

External timecode to VCV Midi clock

That is a good idea. I have not tried it yet, but a CC-Automation with a short pulse should do the same trick but is more versatile for starting (and stopping) at different locations of the song.

Definitely - or even just using gates from midi notes on an unused channel. But I was after something that was more free running, but would still stay on the beat - if that makes sense.

1 Like