Conflict Rack - Pianoteq (software synthesizer) leading to loss of sound

ok someone help me - Andrew you are engaged in sorting the whole flipping show so I really don’t expect a reply from you! and I dont know where I ‘should’ be posting this question. in the past I’ve liked to improvise over a VCV patch using Pianoteq, a physically modelled acoustic piano. But recently when I activate that it kills the sound on VCV rack. I have to restart to get the sound back on Rack. any tips Chris

Hi @reassess - some generic tips:

• If you want to talk about something new (like in this case) please always start a new topic rather than replying
  • please always include more details about your setup: operating system and version, more details about what you’re using (for example, assume that nobody knows what Pianoteq is. I surely don’t. Are you running it as a VST plugin or standalone? how does it “talk” to Rack?)

https://community.vcvrack.com is divided in categories and each category features a “Rules for this category” post. In the future, please check those posts to be sure you’re posting in the right category.

Are you using the standalone Pianoteq? It sounds like it’s trying and failing to use the same audio driver. Simple solution would be to host it in a VST in VCV Host and use a mixer to blend it with the other Rack audio in the way to your output. That has the added benefit of letting you use the Pianoteq audio in VCV (not to mention using CV to fiddle with Pianoteq params if you feel like it).

1 Like

Thanks for the guidance. Perhaps a more recognisable fault to focus on is that the same thing happens if I start Ableton Live. VCV rack is playing, then sound stops when Ableton starts up. PC Windows 10 home v 1909 32 gb ram. Komplete Audio 6 interface

1 Like

cool. I’ll try that. I was using the standalone version

1 Like

it definitely sounds like a audio driver issue

I would recommend to try the direct audio driver or FL Studio ASIO driver ( you can try this download)

which driver do you use?

1 Like

Ah I think I’ve solved it. I’ve been using Loopmidi ( Virtual loopback MIDI cable for Windows) for something else and once I deactivated that I could get Pianoteq and VCV operating independently as well as within VCV

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

ASIO drivers are mostly not sharable, WASAPI or DirectSound if two or more sources need to output via same driver…

2 Likes

The FL Studio driver is sharable, thats why I recommended it.

1 Like