Computer Advice Needed

thinkpad, I had a lenovo thinkpad (6 years ago) and It has been the best laptop that I have owned until today, it work wonderful with Linux and windows ( you can use dual boot because windows is a great OS with hundred of audio software and Linux is a really flexible modular audio system) the range of prices is very good, and the quality is the best. one os the cons that I remenber is that is so heavy, but you said you not care

you know, from my point of view that shit of Mac is the best is a Myth, I used to distributed render a farm of mac I7 (the cylinder ones) beside a farm of I7 pc clones, sometimes Linux won and sometimes windows, never apple

Too late.

17" ZBook on my lap - came at lunchtime. Delighted with it. Have hit it with my biggest patches and it has not topped 70 degrees. The i9 MBP would go into the 90s on half a dozen modules.

Not delighted with Windows however, it has not become any less horrible since I last used it in 2006. Will get Linux on it soon.

Cheers.

3 Likes

nice, enjoy!

it is my Linux Audio Survival Kit it is a work in progress but can be useful to you

1 Like

i would love to hear from anyone that has the latest 8 core mbp on how things are running.

Simon Stockhausen (SampleConstruct - Patchpool) has reported that he is having no problems with it with a Thunderbolt Audio Interface over on KVR:

He’s not a Rack user to my knowledge though.

And about graphic card? AMD or NVidia

Happy to hear it Nik! When you’ve broken it in properly, will you give us a little report, saying how it works for Rack, how the cooling and fans work, and what its strongest/weakest points are? Thanks.

Does anyone in here have any experience with running Rack on a Hackintosh?

rack works perfectly well on a hackintosh - as it looks it seems to run way better on my old thinkpad than on new macbooks :slight_smile:

best wishes - hexdump

1 Like

Glad to hear it Will! Is a Hackintosh still perfectly viable with the latest MacOS’s? And when/if the day comes, do I just google for ‘how to build a hackintosh’ or do you have some deep insights/tricks you can share? Thanks!

i’m just using it with sierra - works perfectly well for audio and for all other and internet needs i’m using linux anyway - i do not see what i would gain from going beyond sierra …

1 Like

resurrecting to see if anyone is using the latest mbp with the i9 and vega 20 with vcvrack.

I can’t imagine that the 2019 i9/Vega20 performs very differently to the 2018 that I had and returned.

Thermally it was a nightmare. Even a very basic patch would push it up to the mid 90s centigrade where it would happily remain without throttling very much and with fans at max RPM. The underside of the case would burn you if you put it on your legs.

The 2019 still has the T2 chip too.

1 Like

Insufficient cooling!

I am. Works fine for me, but if you want me to test any patches for you let me know.

1 Like

any horror stories to report, such as extreme heat, audio drops, etc? I’m coming from a MacBook Pro 15" with the Radeon Pro 560 and i7-7820 HQ @. 2.9Ghz. In the past I had some issues with vcvrack, but once the threading options came out I was able to run vcvrack, camtasia and a whole mess of vsts in host and only have issues when I was being stupid (like 8 instances of izotope trash/neturon etc…you know…for fun). At one point I was able to run all the above AND VEDA for visuals as seen here

but that was kind of hitting the limit on cpu.

I understand a laptop is going to get hot when doing all this, so I usually have my mbp parked on a table or cooling pad. I rarely use it on my lap

Resurrecting this:

Has anybody had luck running Rack on budget or mid-range laptops? I would appreciate model numbers if possible.

I use the laptop with config like this https://amzn.to/36sCu58 and have no issues at all. Just switched hdd to ssd for faster loading and that’s it.

1 Like

Just a note to @Nik’s original question. Not being able to sit at a desk does not mean a laptop is “the solution”. That is, you can use a big tower for the hardware and a wireless keyboard and wireless monitor as if they where a laptop. You can also control the big one from a small laptop. This way you don’t have the heat dissipation problems of a laptop.

True, I guess, but the long haired general wouldn’t wear that :slight_smile: Computer in the living room and laughing at me balancing a monitor on my knees ! I think I’ll stick with the HP Zbook Workstation I bought and which has worked beautifully with Rack. No significant thermal issues at all.

1 Like