Classic Ambient Works

Perhaps a future classic, this is the first ambient artist that made me seek out and buy his album:

His album is the soundtrack to the game Hexologic.

I got after the heat when it came out. Good record!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had it a long time too, so itā€™s one of those albums I have on vinyl and therefore havenā€™t heard for a few decades (havenā€™t had a turntable in a while).

When I want to listen to the old classics I usually rip MP3ā€™s from Youtube (128K, my former audiophile self would be horrified), but I donā€™t like streaming services because I prefer not to participate in surveillance capitalism when I can help it.

My turntable setup is a wry joke at the expense of my former audiophile self. Rega turntable into an audio research preamp, then digitized through a Sonos and streamed around the house. At least I got it to work without compressionā€¦

How about a bit of Morton Subotnick?

Umm, maybe itā€™s just the more general Electronica.

In my book more in the category of ā€œweird electronic noisesā€ :slight_smile: But I have learned to my surprise, that peopleā€™s definition of ā€œambientā€ vary wildly, and the only common denominator I have found is something along the lines of ā€œthe beat is probably below 100BPMā€. Not my definition but, oh wellā€¦ There are also people I have found out, who insist that ā€œambientā€ is not a musical genre. Live and let live I guessā€¦

It seems to me that now the classification of musical directions is very conditional. Nobody plays in the same style, it is always a mixture of styles and a certain key, which creates new definitions.

Sure. Lots of music, maybe most is a blend and mix of different styles and genres, and new ones emerge all the time, and thatā€™s great. But you can still have some level of definition of those genres, so that you can even have a conversation about the different musical styles.

Let me be hard-ass about it for a moment (feel free to ignore): ā€œWithout a dictionary there is no languageā€. Boundaries and definitions are what allows us to communicate. Very unfashionable view, I know, but then I was never a fan of fashion, soā€¦ :wink:

Everything is correct. In order to understand each other, there must be common concepts. It is impossible that the word ā€œkittenā€ for one person means a child of a cat, and for the second a poisonous mushroom.

1 Like