Classic Ambient Works

Hi again David

I tried to split this off into a seperate topic, which I think it really should be, but I couldn’t work out how to do it, so…

I felt a bit ashamed of such a short appreciation of what is clearly a large work, with a lot of effort gone into it. It deserves more of a reply than that. So I came back and gave the whole thing a more thorough listen through, and have given each of the pieces some feedback, based on the numbering of them on Soundcloud.

This is all to be understood as my highly subjective opinion of course and I hope I’m not being too “brutally honest” or dismissive, if you feel that just let me know… I have no idea of your background or whatever standard you would like to be held to (noob, accomplished musician, …) but anyways, disclaimers aside, on with the show…

No. 1: Nice relaxing generative ambient, with a lovely atmosphere. Not a big fan of the slight disharmonies but otherwise it’s very pleasant without setting the world on fire.

No. 2: Really nice atmosphere and I love the use of reverb. The piece has a lovely cadence and development which would lend itself to further development. Again, not a big fan of the disharmonies thrown in, I actually think it would be better without.

No. 3: Lovely atmospheric piece at a slightly higher pace, which I like. Very true to the first Eno ambient albums. Very nice composition. It would suit some of the “tingly voices” if they were more bright and not so filtered. Would bring a lovely sparkle into it. My favorite until now.

No. 4: Oohh, that’s really nice how it starts. Haunting sad sounds. Lovely sounds and atmosphere in this one. Love the pacing and it’s very cohesive. It’s like it deserves a bit more energy - it wants to lift itself from the ground but is bound by a heavyness. It’s almost like you’re flirting with something but afraid of letting it loose. I would have loved to hear that lift, but very nice one nevertheless.

No. 5: Nice sounds and atmosphere again, but it’s not my favorite of the album. Love that voice coming in at 2 minutes though. It’s like this piece doesn’t quite know where it wants to go, or what it wants to be. But many nice elements in it. Seems a bit unfinished compared to the rest.

No. 6: Contains many nice sounds but I don’t really know what to make of it. Seems quite wondering about. Like a proof of concept for some of the elements of the other pieces. Doesn’t really have the feel of a composition. Probably the weakest so far. But still pleasant to listen to, don’t get me wrong.

No. 7: I quite like the lullaby-like beginning of this piece. After that it becomes sort of meandering and I lost interest a bit. Has nice elements but fails to really capture me. Not great to be honest and I think it’s the weakest so far.

No. 8: Love the beginning and the way it sets up the whole piece. Really nice. Has a lovely atmosphere and many really nice elements and voices. After the beginning it’s like it looses steam and I would have loved it to continue a bit more boldly, and lift itself up more. It’s almost like the beginning promised something that it’s afraid to deliver, which is a bit of a shame. But it’s a pleasant piece nevertheless and sounds really nice.

No. 9: Great beginning which sounds very promising. Again, not a big fan of the occasional disharmonies. It does loose steam a bit though and is more sad than I think it needs to be. I think this piece would have been better had it been much shorter. But it is very pleasing to listen to, and sounds really nice, and has many nice elements in it.

No. 10: So this piece sticks out because of the percussive elements and that’s kind of refreshing. The elements are quite nice but it does become rather repetitive lacking some development. I think there’s an attempt at some polyrhythmic development but it’s not really followed through much. This one would have been better if shorter as well, maybe even down to a 1-2 minute interlude. But the sound elements and the atmosphere is nice.

No. 11: Lovely droney beginning, I like that. And finally… here some lovely sparkly voices I’ve been missing in the other pieces, yay! It really suits it. The didgeridoo-like attempted voice is a nice intention but not totally successful, and it sounds like your computer got slightly overloaded during this piece. And the piece gets more bold as well, and stronger in it’s expression which I really like. It has something that many of the other pieces seem to be missing. It’s almost like it’s from another album or phase of composing. It becomes a bit meandering but the stronger expression hugely pulls it up. Sound-wise it’s a bit less polished than the others, but it’s expression and follow-through seems better than the others. This one and no. 3 are tied for my favorites of this album.

Overall the whole album is certainly a very nice accomplishment and much effort has clearly gone into it. It’s very pleasant and listenable and parts of it very enjoyable. Lots of lovely ambience and great sounding elements. It’s a bit uneven here and there, and I find in many places the tone of it to be too dull. It would suit many of the pieces with some more sparkle, life and brightness in the sound. Bottom line - well done, it’s a nice piece of work, not perfect but nice!

1 Like

@dizzy - re: Third, Agree++, I think it’s some of the most amazing music I’ve heard to date. Moon In June is one of my great favorite pieces, it’s an astonishing achievement, as unique as Beefheart or the early VU. Great pick.

1 Like

Hi Lars, thank you so much for the extensive critique. I do really appreciate it. There are many things in it that I agree with and a few I don’t. Music is subjective and I certainly see what you mean about some of the things I disagree with. All the pieces we initially written to be played at the private view of my exhibition of paintings. I wanted enough music to fill the two hours of the private view and trying to write all that in less than two months meant that there were things I wasn’t quite happy with. I think the main thing I realised is some tracks are a bit rushed - I didn’t take enough time to think about the composition - and I can now take more time to re-investigate some of them. Still I really appreciate your appraisal and some of the things you have highlighted I will look at and hopefully improve upon. Thanks again. Dave

2 Likes

Yep, this piece (#19) from that album is the paragon of ambient music to me.

Not so much in the realm of lush soundscapes but rather characterised by chopped up piano chords and the sound of touching live audio wires: all the works by Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto

4 Likes

How much more ‘ambient’ than Cage’s 4.33’ can it be? :wink:

But if Satie is considered ambient, what about the classical ‘nocturnes’ genre? Fields, Chopin, Poulenc etc.

The collabs between those two are definitely unique and mesmerizing.

This is awesome work by Alva Noto & Mika Vainio (rip) & Ryoji Ikeda

2 Likes

William Basinski is one of my favorite Artists in this Genre. Highly inspirational.

I would also recommend The Disintegration Loops Series from him

1 Like

oh, yeah, third. gotta see if I still have that in the collection. I liked 5 a lot, too, but very different. And of corse 1 and 2 are very different, but good.

1 Like

World Receiver - Tetsu Inoue 1996

2 Likes

A bit late to the party, so possibly at risk of bringing up something that already came up, but eh, even if it’s the case, a classic work will never shy away from repeated listens!

David Sylvian & Holger Czukay - Plight & Premonition : One member of Japan and one member of Can, this collaboration produced one of the most memorable ambient works out there. Reminiscent of Bowie’s more cinematic, instrumental pieces, just a tad sparser. Those opening minutes are something else.

1 Like

Coil - How to Destroy Angels : Any fan of Coil knows how their experimental style has brought them into many musical genres, and some of those pieces forays into the ambient realm. In the track below, Stapleton from NWW lends in a helping hand. Granted this probably isn’t seen as a classic for most, but for little teenage me getting introduced to drone music, no other qualifier will do.

3 Likes

really good, there is so much ambient around but still when the works are good they manage to stand out.

I have not read the whole thread, so i might be repeating a suggestion already made.

Not an album or track (for which I do have many suggestions), but instead a pretty comprehensive book on ambient, sound & music:

David Toop - Ocean of Sound: Ambient Sound and Radical Listening in the Age of Communication

Quoted from Amazon:

David Toop’s extraordinary work of sonic history travels from the rainforests of Amazonas to the megalopolis of Tokyo via the work of artists as diverse as Brian Eno, Sun Ra, Erik Satie, Kate Bush, Kraftwerk and Brian Wilson. Beginning in 1889 at the Paris exposition when Debussy first heard Javanese music performed, Ocean of Sound channels the competing instincts of 20th century music into an exhilarating, path-breaking account of ambient sound.

And the other one: Flux & Mutability

1 Like

I noticed:

KLF - Chill Out Jimmy Cauty - Spaces The Orb

Jimmy Cauty being the common denominator.

Random trivia:

KLF’s Chill out sports many samples taken from Keith Holzman – Authentic Sound Effects Volume 2.

Jimmy Cauty is also famous for literally burning a million dollars.

Apparently it was mostly a boring chore to watch it slowly go up in smoke…

They also did another album in 1978 with is an utterly wonderful classic, After the Heat. Now, there are a few vocals in some of the songs, so some people may not consider it very ambient…

1 Like

Sorry if not on topic, but this is so well done, and funny:

4 Likes