Chortling Hamster Modules Bitwise: Preview and thoughts

I’ve got the pattern select knob and CV working now. Here’s a GIF showing the CVs affecting the pattern and row selections…

Untitled

Blinkenlights!

Just the trig all and and poly output to do (and maybe some custom graphics now that I know how to subclass widgets!) then it will be ready for testing. :slight_smile:

Fun!

4 Likes

Here’s the final panel. Too much? :slight_smile:

Working on the Poly Out and documentation this weekend then will have some binaries for testing.

10 Likes

It looks cute ! I like it :smile:

1 Like

Looks like a slice of Super Mario World in Rack. What’s not to like? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Too much? Definitely. But that doesn’t make it bad. I dig it!

1 Like

Hello.

The beta version is available via the v1.1.0 beta release page on GitHub.

I’ve written some (very) draft documentation about Bitwise on a GitHub wiki page. If you want to help with testing (you don’t have to!), the details are on that wiki page.

Many thanks in advance if you do give me some feedback. I’ve tested it as much as I can on virtual machines, but that’s not the same thing as the real deal. :slight_smile:

Depending on how the feedback goes, I aim to make this final and then submit it to the Plugin Library in two weeks or so.

Thanks,
Alan.

2 Likes

Seems to work great for me on linux https://youtu.be/hZmItsdd7FM

A global attenuator would be useful.

1 Like

Can I just ask what you’d want that to do? And where in the panel the knob might be best placed?

Thanks for trying it out. I really appreciate it. And the music in that clip is very nice. I really like the synth sound you’ve got in that clip. Rather beautiful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that a knob to control the output range would be good. In that video I am using an attenuverter to control pitch but ultimately it is coming from bitwise, it would be cool to scale the output to more useable levels for pitch cv, like the Turing Machine does. It could be placed above or below the trig all port, would make everything symmetrical.

Thanks! I was just messing around to test the module but it took me in an interesting direction.

1 Like

Ahh. OK. I understand now. Yes, I’ll start working on that. Good idea.

In my testing I was attenuating signals before they went into Bitwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did a little test myself. I’m enjoying this a lot. Global attenuverter will be really helpful. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing!

1 Like

Très frais. So fresh

1 Like

OK, gang. I hope you’re doing well on this lovely evening. It’s not raining here, which is either good or bad, depending on if you’re into the whole rain thing, I suppose. :slight_smile:

Beta 2 is out. It now includes the global output attenuator requested by @TroubledMind. Yay!

The front panel has been through the mangle a bit, but most things are the same.

Edit: Just noticed that the out ports are off in alignment. I’ve fixed that but the change won’t show up until the final version. The ports work OK, they’re just “off”. :slight_smile:

You can download the beta 2 binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows on GitHub.

Also the documentation for the beta has been updated slightly.

The second beta should just be a drop in replacement for existing patches. (Fingers crossed!!)

Provided I don’t spot anything which causes Bitwise to go nuts, I’ll give this a week and then submit it to the VCV Plugin Library.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. You people are just the best. Like the best things on the best bus going to the bestest festival at Bestville.

Thanks, Alan.

6 Likes

Just fooling around with this on linux - great fun!!!
But it NEEDS the hamster logo somewhere - under the light grid perhaps :smile:
Perhaps the Attenuate knob can be the hamster instead of the dial.

4 Likes

Ha yeah that would great!

2 Likes

If it’s gonna be anywhere, the space right below the pattern led would make the most sense IMO. A rotating hamster knob would be a bit much for me personally. Love how this plugin shaped out!

1 Like

Did you know this morning you would write this sentence ? :grinning:

5 Likes

OK. I’ve added Agamemnon back to the front panel. He’s chortling underneath the blinkenlights.

Agamemnon the Chortling Hamster

As I’ve not heard anything about stuff going wrong with the last Bitwise beta I’ll finalise the documentation over the weekend and then submit to the plugin library early next week. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

What! No rotating hamster knobs??? :wink:

I haven’t had any issues with the module, though maybe it would be nice to maybe have one totally random pattern - say pattern 16 is a random generator with each TRIG ALL?

1 Like